Chapter Three

The Hunted

Chapter Three

"I can't believe he flipped the fucking car." I stirred as Grant pulled himself over the console. The entire right side of his hair and face was stained with blood from a blow to his temple. He reached over me to undo my seatbelt and swore when it didn't spring open.

Ben was passed out across from me. He was hanging limply in his seat, broken glass strewn across his lap and rain darkening his hair and clothes. I called his name but he didn't move or respond. Fear shot through me.

"Let me get you free first, witch," Grant said, "we'll worry about wonder-mutt after, okay?" I blinked and realised for the first time how disorientated I was. The side of my head was thumping where it had collided with the doorframe and my nose was bloated and stinging from the airbag's hit.

Grant grabbed my seatbelt and with a grunt, ripped the material from the metal clip and freed me, grabbing my arm before I could slide out of my seat and onto the broken glass. He heaved me over the middle console into the backseat with him where the doors were less crushed. I hissed through my teeth and he grunted out an apology as he got me into the backseat. Grant held me tight to his chest for a long moment, his forehead resting on my shoulder as he took a a few deep breathes.

"Ben," I mumbled. My ears were ringing slightly and blood was still trickling into my mouth from my nose. Grant didn't answer, he just continued to maneuver my body through the wreck, trying to be as careful as possible as he pulled me through the shattered back window. My skin caught on the broken shards, nipping painfully and making me cry out.

My back hit the pavement with a heavy thud and I groaned as rain splashed my face, my torso, my legs. It was cold and sharp and bit into my skin painfully. I opened my eyes and watched the sky and trees swirl above me, their colors melting together.

And then I saw pale grey eyes.

"Morda?" Grant's hands were on my upper arm, my neck, my face. "Come on, witch."

I pulled in a deep breath and pulled myself up into a seated position. Severe head rush made me sway but Grant steadied me and the rain began to wake my sense back up. I looked past Grant to the jeep. The vehicle was completely wrecked—the frame was twisted and all of the windows shattered. The front half of the jeep was smoking as it seemed to sink lower into the ditch we had rolled in to.

I was standing a moment later, calling out Ben's name and stumbling forward. "I'll get him," Grant assured me, panic starting to raise his voice. He was staring past me in a way that raised the hairs along my spine.

I turned slowly and saw, a hundred paces off, the line of Daemon Hunters slowly approaching. I swore and looked back at Grant who was torn between getting Ben out and protecting me.

I prayed for fire. "Get Ben," I directed.

Grant shook his head slightly, his mind working behind his eyes. "I—they're coming too fast—"

One look at the smoking vehicle made the choice easy for me. "Get Ben."

Grant shook his head and came to stand in front of me, drawing his bare chest up to his full height. "Ben will be okay; he'll get himself out." He sounded as though he were convincing himself. "You are my priority."

"This isn't an issue of want or need," I argued, grabbing his arm to turn him around so he was forced to face me. "I need Ben to be okay." I could hear the Daemon Hunters hissing and growling as Grant's eyes surveyed my face.

"Run," he commanded, taking my arm and pushing me towards the forest. "I'll catch up to you—don't try to fight them there are too many—just run and we will follow."