Chapter two: Breath of fresh air

After that unexpected incident yesterday, Yuki and Kyle decided to ignore each other. Whenever they saw each other in the hallways, Yuki felt his stomach churn, like he wanted to vomit.

Yuki wasn't sure what to do now that someone knew his secret. Especially his best friend. And Kyle had yet to return his phone, so it was hard to communicate with people. He didn't want to see Kyle at lunch today, so Yuki decided he would go hang out with Pe, his other friend today. As he headed down the cafeteria, the number of people overwhelmed him, but amidst the crowd, he saw Pe wave to him.

"Hi, Yuu-kun!" she said with a chipper tone in her voice.

"Hi," Yuki replied softly as he trudged over to her.

"What's the matter? You look upset." Pe said, her face shifting to that of concern.

"...Nothing." Yuki could only stare down at his shoes.

"Oh, alright, then, if you say so." Pe then walked away, but Yuki followed her.

"You don't usually hang out with me and my friends," she asked.

"...I need someone to hang out with today," Yuki responded.

"Well, if you want you can come and hang out with us!" she said. A small smile formed on Yuki's face; he would be safe from awkwardness for now. Pe was a girl, if he ever had the courage to tell her his secret, then, he felt that she would understand. But that would still remain a secret. For now.

Pe led Yuki up the flight of stairs. When they got to the top of the stairs she opened the door leading to the school roof. A gust of wind hit him as he looked out onto the rooftop. Unlike most schools, he noticed a garden with vegetables and a lemon tree. Next to it was a gardening shed, looking a little worn from the weather. He was shocked at the amount of flowers the garden had; bluebells, marigolds, tulips, sunflowers and rose bushes. It had been a while since he hung out with her, mostly because before, they were in the cafeteria. But this year it seemed like they must've relocated. He actually kind of liked it up here-- mostly because it was quiet and secluded from everyone else. Yuki noticed that along with Pe there was Adrijan and Henry sitting next to each other. He found it odd because in the first year of high school Adrijan and Henry did not get along very well, but it relieved him that they were okay now.

Yuki ate his lunch quickly and quietly. He listened in on the conversations about art and the upcoming english project, the clouds and the coming of spring.

"How was track practice yesterday?" Pe suddenly asked. Yuki promptly froze and dropped his sandwich.

"Uh. It was. Good," Yuki said slowly.

"That's good! I bet you were the fastest in the sprints, hm?"

"...Yeah." He stared up at the clouds, elongating across the never-ending blue sky. He didn't want to think about it, but he felt ashamed that he didn't tell Kyle sooner. He had been meaning to say it, but fear lurked in the back of his mind. But Kyle was a nice guy and very open-minded. This entire predicament could've been avoided if he just told him sooner.

And he wished he did.

:*゚:*:✼✿☆✿✼:*゚:

Kyle ran his hand through his blonde hair as he splashed water all over his face.

He couldn't stop thinking about it. What he saw. He never knew Yuki was...you know what, never mind. You were always friends with him before so this wouldn't bother you now, he tried to coax himself. But he was bothered by this. Why didn't Yuki bother to tell him before? Of course, it was a sensitive topic, but he knew that Yuki would've told him early on. He sighed. He took out Yuki's phone, now cracked, and held it in his hands. A pang of regret soon rushed over him. But what he did was wrong. He could've just waited for Yuki outside the locker room. That's what any sensible friend would do.

He exhaled and looked at himself in the mirror. He was going to do it.

He was going to talk to Yuki.