Chapter three: Mending broken ends

The sun was low on the horizon when practice ended. It had been four days since the incident, and he still hadn't talked nor looked at Kyle. He was afraid. He didn't want to confront him. He wanted to tell someone but he was too uncomfortable. Yuki was never one to talk. He always kept things to himself, letting them bubble up inside of him. It used to be no big deal, but now it felt like he was going to explode.

Yuki wanted to talk to Kyle about what happened, but he wasn't sure how. He had always had trouble letting his feelings out, so it was even worse to tell someone about them. He didn't want to go to the locker room, not for a while now. Probably never again. He looked at all the guys going into the room, when he caught a glimpse of Kyle's hair. He swiftly turned away, his heart beating in his throat. He hoped he didn't see him.

After a few minutes, Yuki decided to walk with the other group of boys to keep company. However, just as he was about to leave the building he heard someone behind him.

I gotta go find him, Kyle didn't bother to shower. He needed to do this. He had avoided him for five days, always planning out how to tell him, but Yuki kept shying away from him. He got out of the locker room as quick as possible, still smelling like sweat. He didn't care though, he would just shower at home. He ran towards the exit of the building when he found him.

He was near the exit, where the sun rested on the buildings, giving the room a strange orange glow. The light from the glass doors illuminated the dust particles, sparkling around Yuki as Kyle came closer. Kyle yelled out for him, just as he was slipping his shoes on. Yuki turned around to face Kyle, wide-eyed.

"I've been meaning to tell you this," Kyle started "but I'm really sorry I barged into the locker room like that...I should've known." He extended his hand out to Yuki, holding his phone, the screen reflecting the sunlight from its cracks.

Yuki stood up, his body framed in a golden halo of light as he slowly took the phone from Kyle. A silence fell between them until a faint whisper broke the silence.

The boy turned his head, but Kyle could see his face turn pink.

"Thank you," Yuki murmured under his breath as he turned around and ran towards the glass doors.

Only moments after the door closed did Kyle snap back to reality. For the first time he was so struck by Yuki's reaction he was at a loss for words. For the first time he didn't know what to think as a cascade of thoughts ran through his head.

For the first time, he thought Yuki was cute.