Chapter 14- James' POV

Clearly I haven't been through enough trauma today, so despite today's argument and me crying my way out of the closet followed by me being horrible to Tristan, I've decided to finally come out to my dad. I feel kind of guilty- he's family, and I literally told someone who hates me before him, I'd be angry. On the other hand, he's so busy working that he barely pays attention to any of us. 

I just hope he's ok with it, as God knows I've had enough trouble when it comes to that. I'm sitting on the kitchen table waiting for him, and my mum is in the next room just in case I need backup. Hopefully I won't, but you never know. "Dad..." I say when he walks in the room.

"Yes son?" he replies. I roll my eyes- son? At least use my real name.

"I need to talk to you." I say nervously.

My dad huffs. "I'm going to be late to a conference call for this, it had better be important."

"It is." I promise, but then I pause as I'm too nervous to speak. 

My dad looks at me impatiently. "Well? If you haven't got anything useful to say, I'm going."

"No!" I protest. Then I take a deep breath. "I'm sorry for not telling you sooner. Soph and Mum and some of my friends know and they're all cool with it..."

My dad clearly has no idea what I'm talking about. "What?" he asks.

I sigh, and out of the corner of my eye, I see my mum smile at me. This gives me the courage to say "Dad, I'm gay."

There's a hideous silence for a second, and I squeeze my eyes shut as I can't bear to look. Eventually I manage to, and my heart starts beating rapidly when I see the look of anger on his face. "What?" he repeats, clearly furious.

I'm literally shaking, and I don't think I've ever been so scared in my life. I feel tears welling up, as if I haven't cried enough today. "I'm sorry." I choke out.

"Sorry?" my dad almost shouts. "Sorry isn't going to change the fact that my son's a freak." I recoil like he actually slapped me- this is exactly what I didn't want to happen.

My mum rushes in from the kitchen. "Greg, stop."

My dad almost pushes her away. "No. Stay out of this." Then he turns back to me. "What's wrong with you?"

"There's nothing wrong with me!" I put in, trying to ignore the tears that are threatening to spill. 

"There clearly is." he retorts. "Why did you not have enough respect to tell me earlier?"

All the anger is rising up inside me. "Because I knew you'd react like this! The question is, what's wrong with you?"

My dad gets right up in my face. "Don't you dare talk to me like that, you disrespectful-"

Thankfully, my mum breaks it up by yelling "Greg, do not speak to our son that way!"

"Our son?" my dad scorns her. "No son of mine is a freak like that. And I'll speak to him however I want in my house."

Suddenly, I can't take it anymore. I get up from the table and run out the room, my mum following me. "Baby, wait!" she calls. I'm curled up with tears streaming down my cheeks, and she drops to the floor and wraps her arms around me. 

I hear her shushing me comfortingly, but I'm much more aware of my dad snarling "Get out of my way." as he pushes past us up the stairs. 

I start struggling, and my mum just holds me tightly. She cradles me and rocks me like a baby, and it's incredibly comforting. "Sweetheart, I'm so sorry." she whispers.

"It's not your fault." I reply just as quietly.

"I should have defended you more-" she begins, but I cut her off.

"You're not the one with the problem." I say. "I am."

"No you're not." she says. "You're beautiful just the way you are and I wouldn't change you for the world. I love you so much."

"I love you too," I reply tearfully, "But I need some space."

My mum lets go of me- somehow she just knows exactly where I'm going to go. "Ok." she says, kissing my forehead. "I don't blame you. Just stay in touch." 

I nod, putting my coat and shoes on. I grab my bag, so I've got some money and my keys- I'm not running away or anything, I just need some space. The tears continue to fall as I replay the conversation over and over as I can't stop thinking about it. A crying teenage boy is going to get some weird looks, but I have more important things to be worrying about. Right now, I just need to get away from it all.

-------

Poor baby 😭 I promise the next chapter will be happier, but I honestly don't know how long this story will be. Please read and vote and comment, it makes me so happy 😀

Update from my boring life- I applied for a job today, after Pizza Hut rejected me last week 🙄 Please cross your fingers for me!