Chapter 19: I Need a Break

Dominic's POV

I'm actually relieved that I left the building. Being around people constantly is draining on my sanity. I'm not outta the woods yet. I pull up to my older brother's estate, taking deep breaths before I exit the vehicle.

I had texted him earlier to let him know I was almost there. The butler opens the door before I even fully reach it and bows slightly as he formally greets me. What are we, in Asia?

"Hi how are you?" I ask not really caring how he is. Yeah I'm in a mood right now.

I've been a little stressed lately and I think I just need some time to chill and think. I walk into the glorious house and stand in the foyer. My brother makes an appearance from out of another room and with open arms, greets me warmly.

"Nicky! How's my little fratello!"

"I survive man. Let me get something to drink though."

"Yeah yeah. Marzia! Get my little brother some refreshments won't ya."

A cute latina girl shows up quickly and smiles at the both of us like I'm sure she was trained to do and says, "Of course Mr. Boveri."

"Thank you," I say to her, not wanting her to think I'm taking advantage of her services. Also, I don't fancy her or anyone else spitting in my damn drink.

"Nicky baby, let's talk."

My brother leads me to his guest area that looks more like an airport lobby. We both sit in these enormous chairs.

Layla, my brother's beautiful wife walks in with the drinks Marzia was supposed to get.

"Oh hey Layla," I say pleased to see her.

"Oh hello Dominic. It's been some time since we've seen you around. You're too busy for us huh?"

"Ha, I'm sorry. I'm here now so don't kill me. Just say you miss me."

"Aha, you're right. You're too sweet for me to stay mad at."

She winks at me as she puts down our drinks. Her clothes are so tight I can see her pores making an impression on the fabric. She looks over at me with this seductive stare before she gives her husband a quick kiss. I don't usually chase women. They chase me. It's still very awkward for me but I've had enough interactions with them to know when one digs me and my brother's wife... she digs me. I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole though. Like I need any drama between me and my brother. Layla has always had a promiscuous air about her, and I made sure to stay far enough away not to get myself in any trouble.

"Thanks wife," my brother says.

"Royce, stop calling me wife. We're not vikings. I hate that shit."

"I can't call you 'wife'?"

"No," says Layla sashaying away.

"Why can't I call you what you are? Would you rather me call you slut then?"

I whistle slightly and look somewhere else in the room, feeling the discomfort at the sudden shift in tension within the room.

My brother takes a deep breath and turns back towards me and then plasters a smile on his face.

"You see what I have to deal with? Oi. So how are you little brother?"
"I'm doing fine. Just... I need to get away for a bit. My workers are driving me nuts."

He smiles.
"What did you expect? You're surrounded by beautiful and competitive women all day long. Why are you even complaining?"
I laugh and pick up my drink.
"Well, let's see if you could last week in my shoes?"
Royce laughs and tells me how he would handle it with an iron fist. My brother is way more outgoing than I am. He loves attention, me not so much. He tells me of his latest ventures, stories of women he almost had flings with, and a few companies he bought out including Computer Diesel; the store branch where Lacie used to work. The place was barely above water anyway.
I've been meaning to ask him anyway.
"Why Diesel? That company is s***. It's only going downhill."
He smiles.
"Ah Nicky, they were in direct competition with one of our affiliates."
"So you just wanted to shut it down?"
Royce sips his drink, staring straight past me. Something is up. He sets the drink down whilst smacking his lips with a smirk.
"I found out one of the family members of the one of the partners was stealing from me."
"How so?" I ask.
Now I'm really intrigued.
"Ask my wife."
With that, the tension settles between us like an icy fog. Holy shit.