CHAPTER 3

EFUAS P.O.V

"Welcome back to Nigeria Ms. Coker." James the family driver said smiling widely as I stepped out of the airport.

"O.M.G James I've missed you so much how have you been." I said widening my eyes at the sight of him. I couldn't believe he was still here; I thought that sloppy mother of mine would have fired him. He was like an uncle to me and we got along pretty well back in the day. He looked even older now with the wrinkles gradually creeping on his dark face.
"How is mummy David?" I said dropping my large suitcase and hugging him.

"She is fine and well my dear!" he said releasing from the hug and picking up my suitcases to the jeep.
We exchanged a lot of pleasantries and he updated me on the things I had missed. Apparently he has a little two year old girl .He also told me that Mum and that shameless stepdad of mine are planning on renewing their wedding vows; can you imagine? I wonder what she saw in him. Till date she still never believed that he used to sexually assault me under her nose. She thinks I'm an evil child that is hell bent on destroying her marriage which I myself knew was a lie because my mother's love for mundane things surpasses man's dependence on oxygen. Well that ship with the old Efua who was helpless and hurt has sailed. If that man thinks he's going to try something funny with me then he doesn't know what's coming.

I nodded to a very catchy song that played in the car.
"James who sang this song." I asked shyly.
"You don't know this song?" he asked looking surprised
"Oh yeah you been dey yanki ...but even for yanki dem no de play small naija music for dia?" he said slamming me some Pidgin English.

I shook my head wincing a little bit.

"They do you're just your antisocial self ...its Olamide Oya Dab." He said crossing both arms over his face towards me and looking the other way.

I laughed hysterically at that.

"Hmm...don't try me o ...I still have my skills."

"Abeg we de road oo... focus!" I said adding a little British flavor to my pidgin and he laughed hard.

"You try sha." He said raising his eyebrows and flexing his lower lip.
I rolled my eyes as he said that. Oh how I've missed James so much. He was the only one that cheered me up when there was mayhem at home. He practically trained me since mum didn't pay much attention to me. He always cracked me funny jokes on our way to elementary school.

My eyes widened and my mouth fell Agape as I sighted the huge poster on the billboards along the road. Is that Caro? I thought to myself. She was in a detol commercial with nothing but a white towel. Wow how time flies. I actually never knew what that girl wanted to study. She was just a bitchy puppet who bossed people around and gossiped a lot. At least she's not selling Akara on the road. I brushed her issue off quick as I breathed the wonderful Nigerian fresh air and scanned the familiar roads.

We soon arrived at the house and the gate was opened by a stout dark man in shorts and a slacked inner vest. He ran over to us after closing the gate and greeted us warmly in a strange accent that I recognized from one of the Nigerian tribes. I couldn't put my fingers on it yet.

"This is Akpan our Calabar boy!" he said chuckling.

"Akpan... how are you darling." I said beaming.

"Very fine Ma!" he replied blushing lightly and scratching the back of his head.

I smiled back and headed straight inside as James unloaded the jeep. As I entered the house I was greeted by the scent of dried fish pepper soup. At least that's something the woman can do. So, putting on my best fake smile, I ran to the kitchen and found the round lady in a beautifully styled Ankara gown and squealed.