Chapter 3

After the long speech given by the mayor and my parents (our mentors) came up and reintroduced themselves with the addition of the regular speech that told about there time in the arena we were whisked off to Justice building where we said our goodbyes to family and friends. Since our parents were going to be with us we were just waiting on any of our friends if they cared to say what would most likely be their last goodbye.

One minute into the wait my brothers girlfriend Seta came in. I had seen her in the crowd near the front during the reaping dressed in a white dress that my brother had gotten her for as a birthday present three months ago. She still looked sickly and even had her hand rested on her stomach as if she had a stomach ache. Seta wrapped her arms around my brother and they began whispering to one another. After a few moments a shocked expression flickered across my brothers face and he pulled his girlfriend closer into his arms.

My attention was then stolen by the company that had just entered the room. It was Gale and he was holding his daughter in his arms. The two were in tears as they walked over to me.

Gale cleared his throat before he spoke "Thank you for what you did back there in the square. I'm forever greatful that you stepped up in my daughters place." Gale set his daughter to her feet and brought me into hug.

The moment he let me go Lia ran into my arms crying. "Why did you do that why did you step up." she shrieked at me.

I stepped back and looked her directly in her eyes. "Because I couldn't let you go into the Games you wouldn't last a second and you know it."

After those words we embraced and held onto each other until it was time to go. The peacekeepers that came to retrieve our visitors had to pry Lia away from me. Once she was loose her father picked her up into his arms and carried her from the room. I knew I would never forget her screams as she was reaching out for me.

My brother joined my side, his face was pink and it was clear that he had been crying. He took my hand and we followed my parents out of the building to a car that took us to the train. My mother, father, brother and myself sat in a compartment that was filled with food of many colors sitting around on platters. I glanced at the food momentarily because the colors caught my attention and then I just resorted to staring at the floor.

The green haired woman who I soon found out was named Vendetta joined us and began talking about sponsors and promotions and a bunch of things I didn't care about. My mother and father jumped in every now and then to discuss our skills and tactics and what they thought would be the best way to grab the eyes of the sponsors. But as soon as they were done making a point or suggestion they fell silent.

Night fell as we were passing through District 4 and I knew by tomorrow morning we would be in the Capitol. That night my family didn't sleep in the cabins with their luxurious beds and fluffy pillows but in each others arms. I was cradled in my brothers lap while my mother and father sat on our sides. That night I dreamt of my coming out of the tube to the field where the games began. I looked around and saw beside me my brother. Suddenly I woke up.

My father was peering out the windows when he saw me wake up. "Breakfast is being served if either of you are hungry" he spoke. "I'm about to head on over myself."

I looked at him and shook my head. "I'm not hungry dad."

My dad pulled me to my feet and got on his knees to look into my eyes. "You should eat you are going to need the strength." he looked my brother. "You too River you are the oldest, make a good example for your sister."

Without a second of hesitation my brother got to his feet and took my hand before towing me to the diner car. I sat down beside my brother and leaned into his arms. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close. Suddenly he began crying.

I looked up at him "What is it?" I asked worridly.

"Everything Aloe. This is all complicated, its completely unfair." River rose to his feet and stormed out of the room leaving me to myself.

What was wrong with him? I mean sure I understand the fight to the death and the fact he'd be competing against me but it never seemed to bother him like this before. He seemed to change once he spoke to his girlfriend in the Justice building. Did they break up? Was Seta unable to handle the stress of her boyfriend being in the arena. Did she want to cut all emotional bonds with him?

My mother and father walked into the room and took their seats beside me before they pulled a plate to themselves and began filling it with different foods from various plates.

My mother went to take a bite but then lowered her fork. "Where is your brother?" she asked me.

I placed my hands in my lap and sat back in my chair. "He freaked out and walked out of the room." I said before taking a cup of orange juice my father handed to me.

My mother exchanged a worried glance at my father. "I'll go and talk to him." she said as she got to her feet and headed from the dining car.

I was left to the company of my father, he looked to be deep in thought as he took bites from a biscuit. His eyes were puffy and red with the absence of tears, it was like he was holding them back.

"Daddy" I said in a quiet tone.

He looked up at me and then quickly looked away. "Aloe" he whispered.

I got up from the table and moved to sit in his lap. "I'll be fine." I said as I wrapped my arms around him and leaned into his chest. He brought his hands up and secured them around me as well.

He pressed his lips to my forehead. "Of course you will" he choked out. "You are so much like your mother and she survived, against the odds she survived.

The day passed on slowly and my mother was unable to get my brother to talk to her. The three of us sat in the cabin and watched as the Capitol came into view. I was growing more nervous with every second. Before I could grasp my emotions the train had come to a stop and I was being ushered  onto a platform with my parents and we were on our way to the remake center. The moment we entered into the building a pair of peace keepers took me away from my parents.

I was being escorted down a long hall before being pushed into a room. The room had several others in it  and all of them were taller than myself. I turned and began hitting on the door to try and escape. Seconds later several hands grabbed me and pulled me back. I twisted and turned, flailing my arms to try and get loose, but I was unsuccessful. What was happening? Did the Games already begin? Suddenly I was placed into a chair and a dark skinned man appeared before me.

He was unknown to me and I didn't like the unknown especially when they could possibly be the death of me. "Please don't hurt me" I gasped, "Just give me a fair chance to live." I begged further

Sure it was childish and pathetic to plead for my life but I didn't think it was fair that they would start and not give me a fair chance.

The dark man knelt down before me and place his hands on either side of my shoulders. "Relax I'm not going to hurt you. I'm your stylist. My name is Cinna."

I took a deep breath and allowed my body to relax a bit. "My stylist?" I said breathlessly.

 He nodded his head. "I'm here to help you make an impression." he said with a bit of a smile.

 He was here to help me make an impression. My mind automatically moved to the sponsors, we needed to grab there attention. How good was this man at grabbing others attention. For the sake of my and my brothers life I hoped he was as good as the Capitol people when standing before District 12's norms.