Chapter 14

When we returned to the cave with the other group we acted normal, laughed, chuckled, and didn't even overwork the niceness. Hopefully they wouldn't suspect that we knew what they possibily had planned against us. When time came around to eat we decided on the beef jerky and dried fruit because it didn't require lighting a fire that would surely give away our positions. That was good for my group because it would save us some food.

Tyne stuck her head out over the edge before she looked back up. "The water is going to flood tonight the looks of things. If we need to fill up on water we best do it now." She told us. "I think three of us can manage the lot but I will need the rest to cover us and keep a look out."

I stepped up and moved forward. "I'll go with you." After I volunteered Phoenix stepped up too and my brother but I waved him off saying we already had our three and that he should stay and keep look out. That worked out perfectly because the group wouldn't think anything fishy was going on if I left my own flesh and blood back while I stepped out.

After we secured the water canteens in a bag the three of us headed back down and quickly filled them up. We were gone for only three minutes and on our way back Tyne showed us the entrance of the cave. Just like she said I couldn't tell it was there until I was right up on it. We entered it a few feet and looked around before we came back out and resume our descend back to our hide out. The moment we got inside the shelter a tribute emerged from the depths of the forest and started at a run to the river.

"You don't think she's going to do it do you?" Tyne asked me.

What was she talking about, do what? Essence pulled a thick knife from the pile of weapons and was taking aim when I held her arm back.

"Wait" I gasped. "Lets just see what she does." I told her. She glared at me but then relaxed her hand.

The female tribute ran forward and threw his stuff down before she began wading into the river to bath herself of the filth that covered her and made her skin look darker.

"That's Niyette she's from my District" Pheonix said.

We watched as the female began bathing and then suddenly she was being pulled by the current.

"She's going to drown." Tyne said

"How do you know so much about water aren't you from the Lumber District." Layla asked.

I watched Tyne nodd her head. "Yes and because of working in forests with my father and mother since I was a small child I learned several survival skills. We had to stay in the forest until we hauled in our required share. If we left before we had it we go beat the first time and the second time we got our hands broken the third time we got shot. So we had to learn to make do in the forest."

Just like she predicted the girl from District 2 drowned and a blast went off. Nice call I thought to myself. I turned to the second group and nodded to them. "It's your guys' turn to go out and get some air and do what you need to do."

Ethan pushed past us mumbled about having to go pee and his sister followed. The other 3 descended down after them and when they were well away from the cliff we fell into conversation.

"It's our turn to keep watch so we will be by the entrance of the cave. I say when we are sure they are asleep we escape. Take all the food and weapons and head to our planned residence." Mitchelle spoke.

We all agreed without hesitation. But the question was how do we know if they are really asleep. My brother came up with the idea of 'playing a prank' on them. When we thought they were sleeping we would start talking about playing a prank by putting raccoon guts in their hair and the eyes in their mouths. Anyone that was truly awake would naturally freak out and defend themselves, those that were sleeping wouldn't do a thing.

The group returned about an hour later and it was about time too. We need a way to gather all the food without seeming suspicious so while I was picking out the items to go with our jerky dinner I suggested that we pour out all the food and sort it so we could properly preserve it and make it last longer. Everyone agreed so after I at I did just that. All the meat was wrapped in large leaves I had Essence and Ethan retrieve from the trees and the fruit was bundled. All the food was in one bag, the meat on the bottom and fruit and edible plants on top.

A loud crackle of thunder and a few rain drops grabbed Layla's attention. "It's going to rain."

"No its going to flood. We need to secure the weapons or they will be washed from the cave and taken downstream." Tyne said.

"You said it didn't flood here." Essence growled.

"No i didn't I said the water from below won't reach up here. We have no roof to this cave so the rain water will pour ontop of us and wash out below."

As she suggested we moved all our things to a ledge on the side of the gave and used a few spears to hang them to the wall. Now all we had to do was find a way to sleep without getting wet. There was none so in turn we unzipped all the sleeping bags and used them as ponchos. We paired up since there weren't enough.

The night grew close and just like yesterday once it was dark enough we all filed to the mouth of the cave, carefully this time around since it was raining and the floor was now slippery. The Anthem started and then the girl from District 2's face lit the sky. After it was over those on gaurd took seat at the front of the cave as those that weren't took to the back and fell asleep under their sleeping bags.

After a few silent we began our plan that would let us know if anyone was awake. All was silent so we carefully rose to our feet and grabbed the bags that held the food and weapons and took the spears from the wall that we used to hold them up and slipped from the cave and made our way slowly down to the cave that was now a few inches under water. When we entered we were stunned.

"Can you swim?" Was the first words Raider spoke.