Accepting and Adopting

humans are so needy and naïve

they wish to be accepted, if not they grieve

they long for friends, that they will deceive

such odd things they are can you believe?

-The Dark House-

1874

Will stared up at the building in front of him with a sense of foreboding. It was around two stories tall and was a putrid gray-green color with grand looking balconies that casted long shadows making the shape of the building seem like a mystery. From where they were standing at the side of the structure they could only see the path and steps that lead to where the door was.

"Thought this place would be more captivating." Will drawled trying to sound confident. "Although, I can't argue that this wallpaper is definitely a defect of nature."

"This is a minor sweep, they aren't sending us anywhere dangerous, or as you'd like to call it captivating." Jem answered casually, already used to Will's snarky attitude.

Once the senate had found out that most effective way to rid themselves of the two inexperienced probatio holders was to send them on useless missions Will and Jem had been assigned impractical duties, checking inventory, cleaning the stables. All the while Gabriel Lightwood and his friends spout lines like 'You should be honored to have such a important job!' and 'Where would this legion be with out you!', giving Will distinct feeling that he was being mocked and laughed at. There was no one whom seemed to share his sentiment for wanting to break Lightworm's nose and he felt the world was against him.

Will crammed the rather enticing thought of hurting Gabriel to the back of his mind. Walked up the steps drawing out his too heavy sword, and before he lost his nerves, swung opened the door.

"Wait!" Jem called after Will, scrambling through the door to catch up with him. "We shouldn't be entering through the front door!" Jem hissed "Do you not listen to what Charlotte says about sweeps?!"

"well as you said," Will said mimicking Jem's voice. "They aren't sending us anywhere dangerous." taking pleasure from the annoyed look on his partners face. He took another step into the foyer.

The room they had entered was spacious and dim with two sweeping staircases that lead to opposite sides of the second floor. There were long parallel cuts in the wood and wallpaper like some animal had clawed at it. Making Will wish he had never come in in the first place. The room itself was bare but there were indents in the wood flooring that suggested it hadn't always been that way.

Will searched the room, walking quietly to make sure that his footsteps didn't make a sound. As he walked he found in the shadows of the staircase a packet of like envelopes strung together, all of them sealed and unopened. Will heard an inhumane yowl and a sharp hiss echo throughout the room, he quickly stuffed the packet into his pocket.

Will gulped, 'Guess this place was interesting after all.'

Will ran back to the main room turning toward the location of the sound, his sword seemed more drawn towards gravity than it had moments before. He felt the blood rush to pool around his feet, making him lightheaded. He had never killed a monster before, all of his experience came from training sessions and the challenges against the other cohorts in the legion.

He wasn't prepared.

A low growling sound seemed come from a dark shadow covered corner in the room, as it got louder the dust to vibrated, bouncing up and down on the floor, the chandelier made soft clinking sounds above their head as it shook slightly.