Ch. 12 Gone Fishing

Harper Morgan
    Sitting next to my parents and Dan brought memories flooding back to me. Every Sunday for 18 years we sat in the same spot in the same pew. I look around seeing familiar faces and new ones. Its somehow surprising to me that life here carried on and I missed it. I don't know why I expected things to stay the same, its foolish and somewhat conceited to think that this town, these people needed or missed me. They didn't. Life happens people get older have families, open businesses or expand them. Even the church got a facelift, all without my help. There is just something about the town and its many changes that has me wishing I had never left. I'm homesick while being at home and it makes me long to go back and rewrite it all.
I sigh, feeling disheartened. A hand covers mine and I look up into Ajax's concerned eyes. The priest starts his sermon so I just shake my head, effectively telling him its nothing. Sitting through church with Ajax so close his hand still on mine I feel comforted in a way.
Church ends and we head toward the parking lot as a family to bring in the pies for the church auction. "What are they raising money for anyway? Windows?" I ask, taking two of the pies.
"No, I already told you the church wants to get new P.A. System and speakers." Ma, answers.
"More like Judy Lowing and the rest of the old bats can't hear and pastor Gil is tired of their complaining." Dan, states grabbing two more pies.
"Daniel!" Ma, scolds. Pa laughs as Dan walks toward the church and I follow after him. A long Table with a red checkered table clothe is set out to display the baked goods. I nearly laugh out loud when I see Pastor Gil surrounded by the older women standing close enough to hear him as he bellows his answers to their questions. Ajax sets his pies on the table and turns to me. "Lets make a run for it." He suggests, mischief dancing in his eyes.
"Lets." I agree as we turn to the door, passing Ma, Pa and Dan on the way.
"There's still four more pies." Ma says as we pass. I nod in response. Once we get outside I start running towards the truck, laughing as I open the door and scramble inside. Ajax does the same and starts the truck, without looking back we head out of town back to the ranch.
"This was one of your better ideas." I say, leaning back in my seat closing my eyes as the sun warms my face. Its such a great day to spend the afternoon fishing. After our fishing trip Ill need to pack and load up my luggage in that car Dan is letting me borrow, but I really don't want to think about that. Right now all I want to do is get back to my roots, find my old self in a way.
I notice we pass the ranch and ask Ajax, "You're going to fish in a suit?"
"I have to. Im afraid they'll come after us." He replies, completely serious. I chuckle and turn to look out the window. Five more minutes and we'll pull off the road and walk to the water. Our favorite spot on the ranch, and the best fishing. A least it used to be.
"Is our spot still producing?" I ask, wondering if the hole dried up.
"Yup. Although, Dan usually fishes it. I go down river a little more."
"He still thinks its his spot, even though I'm the one who found it." I scoff, rolling my eyes. Dan stole my spot after I pulled bigger fished out of the river than he ever did on one of our trips. Of course, I fought him for it every time but he had the better arm and could cast right to the middle and I'd end up just a little short.
"Thank God Dans not here. I really don't want to hear this argument again." He grumbles under his breath. He pulls over to the shoulder of the road and I unbuckle my seatbelt and step down out of the truck. Shutting the door I go to the tailgate. "You know you could end the argument with Dan by choosing a side." I suggest to Ajax as he lowers the door.
He grins, "I don't think you'd like the side I'd end up on."
My eyes narrow. "You wouldn't!"
"Oh, I think I would. I was there."
"Then you know I found the hole." I respond with absolute certainty.
"Hon, you can't even cast to the hole. Why would you think you found it?" He questions, with maddening logic.
"I did find it!" I yell, outraged that he wouldn't give me credit for something I know happened.
"Not how I remember it. If I remember correctly and I do." He states, pausing for dramatic effect and looking at me. "It was Dan who you asked to cast for you and put you on the fish. His cast, his honey hole. Its that simple."
"Just when I thought I was starting to like you again, you go and ruin it." I reply, picking up my pole and studying it. "You have my pole?"
"Of course. I knew you'd be back....and claiming fishing holes that don't belong to you." He smirks, throwing his suit jacket in the back of the truck and picking up his own pole and tackle box. We walk in silence to the edge of the water. I breathe in the woodsy smell not able to keep the smile off my face. "I've missed this place." I announce, sitting in the thick grass and holding out my pole to Ajax. Knowing what I want he takes it from me and baits my hook. I thank him and stand up, brushing my butt off and walking up river to the bend I know so well. I cast from the shore, missing the mark I wanted but I shrug it off. Until, I hear Ajax snickering from behind me. "I got it exactly where I wanted it." I say, turing to glare at him.
"Sure you did, Harp."
"I thought you fish down river?"
"I usually do."
"Well, don't change your routine for me."
"Ah, well I guess when you get something on the line you can get it off the hook?"
I scrunch up my nose at the distasteful thought. "I guess you can stay here."
"With such hospitality, how could I possibly leave?" He replies sarcastically. I can't help the laugh that escapes, that is until I watch him cast right where I wanted mine to land. What a turd. I huff to myself quietly.
We fish in silence until Dan's voice surprises us. "Get the hell out of my spot!" He demands, lightly shoving me.
"It's my hole, I found it." I counter, shoving him back.
"Nope, I can't sit through this." Ajax says, shaking his head and smiling. "We were just leaving."
"Good. I'll be back after a couple hours to drop off the car." He says to me. "It should give you time to pack."
Deciding I need Dan on my good side I don't argue over the fishing hole. "Alright, Thanks. Enjoy." I add, walking past him.
On the way back Ajax takes my pole from me and carries it with the rest of the gear. "I had fun. Thanks for taking me fishing."
"My pleasure. Now, I guess its time to pack your things up."
"Yup, I better call Kira and make sure she hasn't changed her mind."
"hum...You could always change your mind."
I sigh, looking up at him as he sets the poles and tackle in the bed of the truck. "It's for the best."
"Well, I guess we should get going then. I'll help you pack."
"Oh, God no." I reply, remembering the fight as he help me unpack.