{and the sky isn't blue}

Riley had never really been scared of heights. That is, not until she was plummeting down six thousand feet into the Grand Canyon. The window she had fell from disappeared, and Riley had time to think a few choice words before completely panicking.

The wind whistled by her as she fell. Her stomach lurched as she looked down at the canyon floor, miles below. She tried to open  a portal underneath her, but frantically realized that probably wasn't the best idea. Even if it worked, hitting anything at the speed she was falling would kill her.

Her brain desperately ran through all the spells she knew. She was running out of time. The Amulet suddenly flashed hot, grabbing her attention. Riley closed her eyes, focusing on channeling the magic into something helpful.

Riley's fall slowed, a sort of pressure keeping her upright. The pressure grew, and she hovered in the air. She was standing upright, floating. With a little bit of concentration, Riley moved up towards the lip of the canyon.

Well... This is new, Riley thought sardonically.

<>

"Riley!" Strange yelled. He surged forward, pushing past Mordo to watch her fall. Just as he was about to jump after her, the scene in front of him changed. A peaceful meadow was in front of him now, it's warm sunlight disgustingly perfect. Mordo, his hand still on the magic dial in front of him, chuckled darkly.

"Good luck saving her now, Strange," Mordo sneered.

Strange's hand was clamped to his side, trying his hardest to close the wound that was still leaking blood onto the floor. He turned to Mordo, his eye's burning with rage.

"Leave, now. While you still can," Strange growled.

Mordo seemed like he was going to laugh, but the look in Strange's eyes was harder than he expected. Mordo turned on his heel and left, leaving the bloody scene behind him. Strange's legs gave out under him. He slid down the wall and sat. His head lolled to the side and looked out into the meadow.

He wondered if Riley had found a way to save herself, or if she was already dead. The pounding pain in his side dimmed to more of an itch. His eyes fluttered closed, and for once in his life, he prayed.

<>

When Riley's feet hit the ground, she felt like throwing up. She scrambled away from the edge of the canyon. With a trembling hand, she felt in her pocket for her sling ring. There it is, she audibly sighed in relief. She slipped in on her fingers, raising her arms and creating a portal.

Riley stepped back into the ruined hallway back at the sanctum. The floorboards creaked under her weight as she moved to the end of the hallway. Her shoes slipped a little in a dark puddle, and she realized in belated shock it was blood.

She followed the brownish smears of blood down the hallway, finally reaching who they had come from. Strange lay against the wall, his eyes shut. Riley practically ran to him, pressing her fingers gently on the side of his neck to feel for a pulse.

It was there, faint, but there. Riley needed to act quickly. She softly hit the side of his face, "Strange, please, tell me where to go."

He groaned in pain, furrowing his brow. "Christine," he sputtered, "Christine."

For the second time that day, she began to open a portal.

"Take me to Christine," she whispered to her Amulet, "Please."

She leaned over and quickly gathered Strange up in her arms. He was much heavier than she expected.

"Come on, Strange," she muttered, "You could at least help a little."