{that wasn't really how I thought that'd go}

"Do you really think you can give them their magic back?" Strange asked.

Riley and Strange were sitting next to each other in front of the mystic window, watching the sunrise. Strange's arm was wrapped around Riley. She was snuggled close to his side, drinking in his warmth. She hesitated before answering.

"I think I can. I mean, if you can take, surely you can give, right?" she sighed.

Strange sighed with her, "I guess we'll find out."

Riley lifted her head enough to look him in the eyes, "Let's find out today. I don't want to wait."

Strange let go of her as she stood and offered him a hand. He took it and got up, watching as she slipped on her sling ring. "Where are they?" she asked.

"Where do you think?" he deadpanned.

"London," she rolled her eyes. Of course they were in London. She was sure the master of the London sanctum had purposely pulled some strings to have the magic-less sorcerers brought to his sanctum. He probably wanted to watch her fail. Riley raised her hands and pointed towards the middle of the hallway. She pictured the sanctum in her mind and rotated her left hand. Almost immediately, a gold portal opened.

She reached over and took Strange's hand. He could feel her nerves crackling in the air. "You're going to be fine. You can do it," Strange said encouragingly. Riley smiled at him and stood on her tiptoes to give him a quick peck on the lips.

They both walked forward into the swirling gold magic of the portal. It dropped them in the middle of the London sanctum. A few of the sorcerers that were milling around looked at them curiously before continuing whatever they happened to be doing. Riley caught the arm of a woman who looked about her age, "Hi, can you tell me where the sickbay is?"

The woman nodded and gave them directions before scurrying off. Riley and Strange walked down the endless hallways until they came to a large room that smelled strongly of disinfectant. About fifty sorcerers laid in beds that lined the walls. They all looked pale and drawn. They eyed Riley and Strange curiously as they walked around the room.

Riley cleared her throat self-consciously as she stood in the middle of the room, "Hi."

All the patients stopped and stared at her. She shifted uncomfortably and wrung her hands. "I'm the one who stole the magic back from Mordo," she said uncertainly. Some of the people chattered to each other, but Riley's voice hardened back into how it had been when she was Supreme. "I'm here to try to give you your magic back," she said, her voice was strong even though she was still very uncomfortable, "Who wants to volunteer?"

They were all silent. Some of them looked almost hostile towards her, but some just looked like they were scared. Finally, a young girl of about seventeen raised her hand. Strange realized with a jolt that she was the girl who had delivered him the message about Riley months ago. It seemed Mordo had gotten to her after that. Riley and Strange both walked over to her bed.

The girl looked sickly and pale against the stark white sheets. Riley gave her a warm smile, "I'm Riley." The girl looked up with a small smile, "I'm Mary."

"It's nice to meet you, Mary," Riley said warmly, "I have to warn you, I haven't ever done this before, so I'm not really sure how it's going to work. I don't even know if it will hurt."

Mary just gave her a tight smile, "It's alright. I'd do anything to get my magic back. I don't care what you have to do."

Riley nodded once before lifting her hands. Her magic was like a well inside of her, overflowing with too much power. One person wasn't meant to keep the magic of dozens of sorcerers. Her hands glowed an iridescent white, warm and beautiful. The complete opposite of the dark magic she had wielded just days before.

Riley let the magic build in her hands before she willed it forward. It floated towards Mary in thin streams like spider webs. They landed on the young girl and melted into her skin. Mary's eyes were wide as she felt the magic slowly leeching back into her system. The wall that kept her from her magic was being torn down, brick by brick. Riley's hands shook with the strain of pushing the magic into the air.

All at once, she broke the connection. Riley slumped back and Strange caught her, holding her close to his chest. She panted heavily from the strain. Strange watched as Mary summoned a shield in front of her. The golden webs of magic reflected on her astonished face, "I have magic again!"

Strange squeezed Riley tighter to himself, "You did it, Riles!"

She looked up at him, dark circles had appeared under her eyes. Her eyes were hazy and tired as she smiled up at him. The patients around them all chattered loudly, calling to be next. Everyone wanted Riley to come over to them now. "I think that's enough for today," Strange called.

But Riley stood up from him, teetering dangerously a moment before walking to the next bed over, "I'm not leaving until they all have their magic back."

And she stayed, until every single person had been healed. She stumbled from the last bed and collapsed. Strange, who had been following close behind her, caught her before she could hit the floor. He scooped her up and carried her. She buried her head into his chest, worn completely through. Strange used one hand to open a portal back to their own sanctum and carried her back to her room. He laid her down in her bed and climbed in beside her, wrapping his arms around her.

"You did amazing today," he said to her.

Riley chuckled tiredly, "I am pretty amazing, huh?"

They both laughed a moment before settling into a comfortable silence. Strange felt something build in his chest, right behind his ribs. It ached. He needed to say something. He had to say something, or he would explode.

"I love you," he whispered.

There was silence.

"Riley?"

He sat up and looked over at her. She was already asleep, peaceful and calm. Strange gave a huff of laughter before settling back down beside her.

"That wasn't really how I thought that'd go," he sighed.

A/N
Hey guys! Happy new year!! Next chapter is the epilogue so I hope y'all are ready!

I posted the first chapter of my Sherlock fanfiction, so please check it out if you're interested!

Love y'all! Thanks for reading and happy new year!