Toriel

The trip to Toriel's house was long.
There were a few simple puzzles Morty got stuck on, so Rick impatiently ended up guiding him through.

"God these are dumb. Hey, goat lady. Who made these anyways?"

"Why, the puzzle master and myself did, a lot of them anyway. But I suppose a few were put in place before I got here... probably the snails." Toriel said.

"S-snails?  You mean like the slimy worm kind?" Morty asked.

"Exactly. Did you know that snails absolutely love puzzles? And since they are so slow, they get to enjoy them for that much longer!" She gushed.

"But w-why? How many people would see them anyways?" Morty asked.

"Ah.. more than you would expect."

"So about six?" Rick asked suddenly.

Toriel stopped. They were most of the way through by this point and were now in front of a large dead tree.

"How did you know?" Her voice trembled a bit.
  Rick and Morty both stopped as though the sudden tension in the air gripped them like a vice.

"One of the other guys up top told us a lot of kids vanished up on the mountain. Anyone could assume that they fell down here. So did you kill them?" Rick asked.

"N-no! Of course not, I could never. But... someone else did. Come inside.. I suppose there is no use hiding it. I'll explain."
She walked into a rather quaint house that seemed very welcoming after all the traps, puzzles, and weird monsters Toriel had to shoo away.

She gave them a small tour of the house and even invited them to rest in a spare room.

"R-Rick.. I really need to sleep. And you know.. relax. From the falling and all.."

"Yeah. Sure Morty. I'll be out here figuring this all out." He closed the door on him and walked to the living room with Toriel.

She took a seat, almost falling into the deep chair cushioning. Rick did the same, albeit on a much harder table chair.

"So. What else do you know about this underworld we live in?" Toriel asked in a hushed voice.

"I don't know why you're whispering. Morty's already passed out. Anyway, all I was told is that kids disappear down here and that there was some sort of war."

Toriel gave a sigh of relief.

"So humans at least remember.. but yes. We were sealed down here behind a great barrier after the humans attacked us, unprovoked. There used to be a great deal of us.. but now, only a handful remain of what used to be hundreds of monster races.
As for the children, I am afraid what you said before was partially true."

Rick seemed bored, but upon hearing that tensed up.

"So you DO kill kids? I fucking knew it.. MORTY!" He began, but Toriel grabbed his hand and calmed him down.
"No, no! I have never harmed a child. King Asgore, on the other hand... h-he's responsible for the deaths of the six. He is a truly despicable creature but.. he has his reasons. He's my husband, or was. That is, until we lost our child. After that day he.. he vowed to destroy the barrier at any cost so he may wage war against the human race.

Rick, a little settled, sat back down.

"So this barrier is the only way out?" Rick asked. Toriel nodded.

"And there is no other way out? If you're Asgore's wife, that makes you the queen right? You're telling me not even you know?"

"No. Royalty has little meaning down here these days, but I can tell say you may cross freely into it, but you can never escape. Of course, even if we could, humans would still try to kill us on sight. We must escape, all of us together, and try to negotiate peace. Otherwise, we'll simply be wiped out completely if Asgore ever does destroy the barrier."