1: The guild, Twilight Ogre

>Narrator's P.O.V<

A cloaked figure stood in front of the large guild hall. The hall in question belonged to Twilight Ogre. The figure threw back it's hood and appeared to asses the building. The girl lifted her fist to bang on the door.

>Your P.O.V<

As you brought your fist repeatedly down on the door, you could hear the muffled echo. A grumpy looking character with a wide sneer and large poofy black hair threw open one of the double doors.

"Wadda ya want? We don't do charity here." He was obviously in a bad mood.

"Um. I'm sorry to bother you, but-"

"Well if you're sorry, don't bother us in the first place" he interrupted rudely.

"-you see" you continued, trying to ignore his interruption "I would like to join this guild."

"Huh?" He drawled "Why didn't you say so in the first place? You'll have to ask the Master. And you'll probably have to do a power test..." He smirked at this last phrase. "Not just anyone joins Twilight Ogre"

"That's fine" were the words that you spoke, but your brain was ticking, thinking of all the different possibilities for the test...

"Follow me" He walked in front of you, taking you through a rather extravagantly decorated short hallway. You found yourself in a large room that was (again) over-decorated. A large man was sitting on a couch in front of a low table, smoking a cigar and appearing to be bored.

"Hmm, Thibault, who's this?"

"She said she wanted to join, Master."

"Hmmm? And what's she called?"

"What's your name?" the man you now knew to be Thibault hissed at you.

"uh-uh-um... "

"Spit it out quick. The master is not a patient man."

You straightened your spine as much as possible, lifted your chin and stated "My name is Y/n"

"Y/n, hmmmm..." the master considered you for several long seconds. "Well, you'll have to take the test. What magic do you use?"

"F—c-card magic" the sentence came almost naturally.

"Well, lets see you defeat Ginger." A medium height girl with shoulder length magenta hair smiled at you.

"Hi! I'm Ginger. I use fire and ice combination magic. I won't go easy on you." At this she winked.

Right off the bat, she threw a small fireball at you.

"Disappearing Card!" An Ace of Hearts* drifted to the floor in flames.

The fireball passed through the space you had just been and dissipated moments before touching the wall. You appeared behind Ginger, panting for breath. Dammit. I have to finish this in under 54 moves... "Sword of the Knave!"

Ginger just managed to freeze a broadsword before it sliced across her shins. Four jacks crumbled into dust.

49 cards left...

"Pay attention!" Ginger laughed.

There was a creeping sensation of cold in your feet, and you realised she had frozen them to the floor while you weren't paying attention. Ginger was currently aiming a fireball right at your torso, and the ball of flame was growing in size...

>Narrator's P.O.V<

The girl pulled a black Joker out of her right sleeve and fanned it across her face in a flipping twisting motion through her fingers, intoning "Shadowed one, hide Me from Prying Eyes, bring the Pitch Dark to this place." At the same time the girl pulled a red Joker out of her sleeve and drew it in a straight line across her eye line, whispering "Dim one, bring Light for Me, showing Me the Red way through the Darkness of the Shadowed one"

>Your P.O.V<

The whole room was dark, but you could see dim red images of all the members and various pieces of furniture. You pulled the four kings out of your pocket as quietly as possible and whispered "Authority of the Kings" The ice around your feet cracked apart loudly, allowing Ginger to pinpoint your position and propel the now large ball of flame right at your midsection. You crashed against the wall, white spots dancing in your vision.

As you lost concentration, the light came back to the room and the shock made you woozy. You pulled the water-skin off your belt and had several gulps, still collapsed against the wall.

The guild Master frowned at you.

"You have some impressive tricks there, but that's nothing in battle when you run out of magic power. I'm afraid we can't accept you unless you have funds available..."

You stared up at him in disbelief. "You're saying I either leave or bribe my way in?"

He loomed over you "To put it bluntly, yes. Thibault please, ah, escort Y/n to the door." He frowned at you with a dark expression on his face.

Thibault picked you up roughly, slung you over one shoulder, marched out of the main room, shoved the door open, and dumped you in the street.

"Sorry, but if the master says no, the master means no." He seemed to be attempting an expression of pity, but was failing badly. His sneer was showing.

Before you could think anything else, he had slammed the door and his footsteps were retreating.

You managed to stand up, but the impact of your head on the wall had affected both your balance and vision.

>Narrator's P.O.V<

A tiny spark of flame flickered on the shoulder of her now crumpled cloak, but the girl squashed it dismissively with a fold of her hood, suffocating the spark. She was rising, stumbling on over the cobbled street, walking on and on, following one road, taking no turns. She came upon a medium sized building with a broken gate sign. At this point she was stumbling, having trouble walking, fatigued.

>Your P.O.V<

The grass was a subdued green, and it was thick and long. You collapsed into the soft grass, thinking how like a mattress it was.

"Dad, there's someone collapsed on the grass!"

"I'm coming, Romeo. Don't...

The voices blurred and faded.

*Reference to the fact that a player never stays.