Awkward Attraction

It was quiet as they started their journey. Lacey rested her forehead against the cool glass window while Nicholas tapped his fingers against the steering wheel to the random music station softly playing.

She was surprised by how excited her sister was over this out of character move by her. Josh didn't press for details, but rather sent misgivings about her arriving a little late.

Eventually, she felt Nicholas eyes flicker over to her.

"So," he drawled out. "How long have you known him?"

His question surprised her, but she answered nonetheless. "A little over two years," she explained. "We met in our last year of college out West. That's where I'm from. I've never been this far East before." Her words surprised her, spilling out of her easily. She wasn't exactly one to open up to a stranger.

He gave her a surprised glance. "That's where you're from? I would have taken you for a New York girl."

She laughed. "No," she chortled. "I'm not exactly a city girl. I enjoy the slower pace of life." It was true. She'd grown up in a small town and had some of her best memories during that time. Her first time in a big city had been her freshman year of undergrad. She had learned to tolerate it well enough.

She did miss the slower pace of life.

"You'll like Cedarville then," he informed her with a small smile.

Lacey was purposely not looking at him, instead she gazed straight ahead. She didn't want to risk herself dwelling on how good looking he was.

He still noticed her surprised face. "Your boyfriend hasn't told you about Cedarville I take it?"

His observation skills were impressive. She wasn't used to having such attentiveness shown to her. Not to say that Josh didn't give her plenty of attention. He did. Yet his attention was different, like buying lavish gifts and taking her on trips.

It was nice to be actually heard in a way.

She shook her head and he dived in to telling her more about the small, cozy town. It apparently went all out for Christmas, decking the streetlights with pretty wreaths and stringing lights wherever possible. They prided themselves on being inclusive and caring, a community that loved life at a leisurely pace.

"That's not where I'd imagine Josh being from at all," she commented.

"Big city type?" He questioned knowingly.

She nodded. "Yes, he definitely likes the fast and flashy life."

He hummed in response.

"Do you care if I play some Christmas music?" He asked her.

She enthusiastically nodded her head. "I love Christmas music! Josh won't ever let me play it- he says it's too cheesy," the words poured out before she could think them over. Her stomach dropped. It made her feel awful to talk badly of Josh.

He was a good person. Really. She didn't know what had come over her today.

Nicholais chuckled. "Ah," he winked at her. "Sometimes Christmas brings out the Grinch in people."

Lacey gave him a small smile, but didn't continue the train of conversation. Nicholais tuned the radio to a Christmas channel and twisted up the volume.

She was entertained by his deep voice singing right along with every song that played. She felt the urge to sing along with him, but the potential embarrassment held her back.

Briefly meeting his joy filled eyes, Lacey couldn't remember the last time she had felt so calm.

*~*~*
Driving in comfortable silence, Lacey nodded her head to Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree as the car continued to roll forward.