Truths

After their impromptu dance, Lacey and Nicholas had piled themselves back into the vehicle with higher spirits.

As the miles passed, Lacey smiled to herself as she noticed that the conversation between the two of them was flowing easier than it had been before.

"You know," Nicholas commented after a short lull in their conversation. "This is the happiest I've seen you since we met each other."

Lacey blinked, her cheeks turning red. "You know," she replied without much thought, "it seems you notice a lot about me for having only known me for a few days."

Nicholas laughed, but she noticed his face grow warm and ruddy. "Well, it's hard not to pay a lot of attention to a beautiful woman."

Lacey felt extremely flattered that a man as handsome as Nicholas would find her attractive. "You're pretty beautiful yourself," she whispered.

"What?" Nicholas sputtered in surprise.

Lacey's eyes bulged when she realized what she had said. "N-nothing," she feebly recovered. "I think I've had too much caffeine." She grimaced and tapped her coffee cup.

Nicholas chuckled. She knew he didn't buy her lame excuse, but she also appreciated that he didn't push the issue.

He was extremely beautiful- a classic blend of green eyes, dirty blonde hair, a tall build, and wiry muscles. His eyes sparkled with every emotion he felt when he felt them. She knew she had only known him a short time, but she was sure that every emotion his eyes shone was genuine.

Vastly different compared to Josh. She felt the calculated reactions and emotions behind his every word and action. She knew that if he let you see an emotion of his, it wasn't an accident and certainly wasn't genuine but more for an end goal...

Guilt washed over her again. She shouldn't compare two different men. It wasn't fair to either of them. Especially not to Josh, who was driven and successful due to his calculating nature and pristine imagine he had curated.

Lacey doubted Nicholas was as successful as Josh. Nicholas was far too relaxed and personable to get very far in the corporate game. Lacey was much the same, having only come so far because of Josh's coaching and advice.

Still... Lacey often wondered if it was worth it all. Superficial relationships, bland work parties, and long work hours hadn't left much time to spend on anything else.

"Why are you so intent on getting to Josh before Christmas Eve, Lacey?" Nicholas broke through her thoughts with the question.

"Why are so interested in my life with Josh?" She shot back at him.

"Fair enough," he chuckled. He thought for a moment and tapped the steering wheel.

"If you answer my question honestly, I'll answer yours honestly."

"How do you know I'll answer honestly?" She pressed.

He shot her a blinding smile. "I trust you'll be honest."

Lacey rolled her bottom lip between her teeth. Taking a deep breath she nodded. "Not that it's any of your business, I'm planning on Josh proposing on Christmas Eve night."

"Oh?" He questioned. She watched curiously as his jaw tensed.

"Yes," she continued. "I've been dreaming of a Christmas Eve proposal for as long as I can remember. I've hinted and told Josh for about a year now. All signs point to it happening."

Nicholas guffawed. "You sure about that?"

My eyes widened. "Excuse me?"

My throat felt tight. Did he not think I was good enough for Josh? That I was beneath Josh? It was my greatest insecurity come to life.

"Do you honestly think Josh has paid enough attention to realize what you would like? And if he has paid enough attention to realize what you like, do you think he cares more about someone else than himself to act on it?"

"I- I don't think Josh is like that-"

"Lacey," he interrupted. "Be honest with yourself. Does he really treat you like he cares about you? Or just cares about the image of you? I know how he is, Lacey, and you do, too."

I blinked. "Um-"

My thoughts raced around in my head, jumbling themselves up. Nicholas wasn't wrong. It was often how perfect I was, or at least how the public perceived me, that pleased Josh. After all, it took this long for him to even invite me to meet his parents and he refused to meet mine...

My heart thudded heavily in my chest. If Josh didn't love me, I had just wasted so much time on... nothing. Time invested that I'd never get back. I'd have to start all over and hope I was good enough for someone new and-

I interrupted my own thoughts. "Maybe he's changed since you knew him."

Nicholas grew quiet for a moment. "He hasn't."

"How would you know?! You just grew up with him. People mature!"

He nodded. "True. I know how he is because he's my cousin."

"W-what?"

They were related? Josh and Nicholas were like oil and water... there was no way they could be related.

"Wait... did Josh ask you to pick me up and drive me up here then?" Betrayal stung at the edges of my chest.

Nicholas vehemently shook his head. "No! That was a complete coincidence. I didn't know you were Josh's Lacey until later."

"You knew of me then?"

"Yeah," he sighed. "Josh's description of you doesn't match with actual you though."

"Oh?" I tried to shove my curiosity down.

"Frankly, I thought he made you sound pretty dull and boring," he shrugged. "He definitely never mentioned how pretty you are."

"Well-" I replied awkwardly, "thank you for the compliment I think."

He laughed. "You're welcome, Lacey."

"You're not exactly his type of stuffy, pretentious females," he continued abruptly. "He prefers them to be compliant, seen not heard, with a pedigree to match. He doesn't really treat his girlfriends as partners- more like trophies."

"I disagree," Lacey protested.

Nicholas shrugged. "I'm just trying to tell you not to get your hopes up too much. I don't want you to be crushed."

I blew out a breath. "Crushed?" I reiterated, mostly for my own benefit. Would I be crushed if Josh and I didn't work out?

"Unless..." he paused, weighing his words. "You love the thought of Josh, but not really Josh."

My heart raced. Was that an unfair assumption? Or was it rather accurate? Did I want myself to even answer that question?

"Okay," I shook my head in an attempt to clear my thoughts. "If you know everything, who's type am I?"

I was being a pain, poking fun at his know-it-all attitude. He took it seriously.

Nicholas grinned, staring straight ahead. "Mine."

He had said it so matter of factly, so assuredly, that my breath hitched. I was positive that if I could have caught a look at his eyes, they would have been glimmering a dark jade.