~Çhapter Twęnty~

I woke with a small yawn that I managed to stifle at the last second. I stared at Lucas as he snored while he slept. The fire had been reduced to nothing but ash and I nearly slapped myself, I fell asleep when I said I would be on watch.

I walked over to Lucas and shook him awake."Get up Lucas we're burning daylight." He sighed but reluctantly got up."Challenge four: ravine."

"Ugh great," Lucas said sarcastically.

"We need to brainstorm ideas while we walk."

We pressed on but didn't think of any ways we could cross the ravine. We reached the ravine and I was shocked to find-

"A rope," I said and touched it with my hand.

"We can't even use it, it's too thin and it'll snap," Lucas said and I shook my head.

"It's the type of rope acrobatics, tightrope walkers, use and that bit of information is going to save us," I released a shaky breath."This is either gonna go really well or really bad."

"Really good is us getting to the other side and really bad is...?" Lucas said and I shrugged while looking down the dark abyss of the ravine.

"Us taking a hundred foot drop give or take."

I stepped onto the rope with my arms outstretched, my legs bent but back straight. I needed my centre of gravity to be close to the rope but if I bent my back then it would only make me more unbalanced.

I took careful steps forward and tried my best not to look down, just forward, while also making sure my feet didn't slip or anything else that would result in certain doom.

Tightrope walking is hard and dangerous, incredibly dangerous, but when you do it, it feels incredible. You feel like your walking on air, like your flying. It don't feel like your in any danger just...free.

It started getting easier as I got used to it, as I got into more of a rhythm. I took a cocky step forwards and my foot slipped. My foot hung on nothing but air and I felt myself tip slightly.

I lost my balance for a split second but managed to get my foot back on. Unfortunately I also looked down.

I could feel the air getting knocked out my lungs as I saw the drop down. I could very well plummet to my death.

"Chase," a voice said but my brain could hardly process what was happening as the world spun around me.

I could feel it growing in my chest as I felt myself tipping from one direction to another. The fear, the dread, the panic. My chest constricted and I couldn't breathe.

Something gripped my shoulder and I turned to see Lucas holding my shoulder. I focused on his eyes that held nothing but worry.

The world stopped dancing around me and I could see straight again. I took a deep breath in and closed my eyes to stop myself from looking down. My feet automatically righted themselves and my arms returned to their outstretched position.

I opened my eyes and took a careful step forward. And another. And another.

I made my way to the end and breath and sigh of relief as I fell off the rope onto my knees at the end.