Typical Girl, Typical Day

Chapter 1

"Watch it." says a rather plump girl, with a face caked with make-up and her black, bouncy, hair invaded by bobby pins and bows. She was wearing her uniform like she was competing in those weird "change that dress from blank to sexy" TV shows. Not like I ever watched them though. I never saw the amusement in them. If there was one word to describe her, it would be 'manly' even with all those weird bows she owns. Never say that to her face though. You won't end up having the voice to say it after that anyway. I saluted her. "Always, your lowness." I nodded, scurried off before I saw a plump hand in my Botox free face. I entered my locker code, and opened it. Someone had put chewy all in it again. Sigh. A weekly routine must be. I feel noticed; they spent all that money on gum just to trash my locker? They spent that much effort on me. Unreal. Mondays were my best days, no one was ever active, other than the caffeine banks we call teachers. So I never attracted much attention, not like I ever, anyway. The morning homeroom bell rung and I headed to Room 9. All freshmen scurried around, asking for directions, with their squeaky clean things. Another couple of steps and I'm out of this stampede. I pushed my way through the masses of elbows, shoulders and bags; as well as rough seniors that think they owned the school. Then I was at the door of Room 9. Finally. I swear my short; pixie styled hair became a bird’s nest by the end of that. I straightened it out, and walked to a seat. It was far more decent then the horrible hallway. I chose the seat in the back, near the window. Apparently all these seats are graded from bad-arse to the nerds, which I really don't understand. It was like those old grading system the Egyptians had. Not like I ever paid attention in History.

The teacher, Miss Elena, came in. Yes, she is like those fairy-tale teachers that everyone wants. Sunny, giggly and happy, you know those attributes. Did I mention short? Yes, she only stands 5.4ft; and I'm 5.6ft. Not tall, but I still have time until I stop growing. I must have been staring at the front for too long, because Sally snapped me back into reality. "Oi, girl, what are you starin' at? The bell just rung, crazy woman." I shook my head, a bit bemused. "Aha, funny, ah... What's your next class?" I asked, a bit shell-shocked. She just flicked her bright red hair in my face. How nice. "Pfft, why would you want to know?" 'I don't, I was a bit curious." I spat out. She shrugged, hesitated, and replied, "Math with Mrs Kinsley.” "Alright. We better get going then; she's not always –little Miss sunshine-." She awkwardly chucked at my weird statement. She was probably trying to make me feel better. So I raced out the door, and since it was a bit late, the hallway was empty. I got my math books from the chewy and *drumroll* thumbtacked locker and went to math class. Sally must have got ahead, because I saw her sitting near the back, already getting her math equipment out. "You’re late." Mrs Kinsley remarked. "Oh, really?" I checked at my wrist. I didn't have a watch, which made the whole situation that much more awkward. She tapped her wooden desk, which I thought would fall beneath her, yes, she has a slightly off the scale body mass. She should join the TV show, "excess baggage" it would do us all good. "Just. Here's your tardi young lady." "Cheers Kinsley." She huffed and blurted, "Don't waste precious work time Slade." "Yes Sir." I heard a few encouraging laughs, but I already pushed too many buttons. So I slumped into the usual seat at the back. After a whole 45 minutes of palindromic numerals which I swear I learnt in grade three, Science class was next. Science wasn't all that bad, I love physics. Yet again, that is not, a nerdy remark. I have average grades; I guess I spend too much time counting the minutes before I leave this hellhole.

This lesson was pretty good though, because we had a substitute. I could probably just spend my time drawing unicorns or something. I sat near the front, because judging by the reactions of my classmates; we were watching a video about the study of biology. It was pretty simple, all we were expected to do is jot down notes for next weeks 'practice test'. ~Perfect time to draw unicorns, and perhaps practice shading for art, which I suck at~. While I was at my awful attempts at shading with pen, I felt a tall shadow loom over my desk. Oh joy. It was observing my lovely now blue page. "How are those notes going there...Bessie?" Stupid substitute. Wouldn't take at least some time to check the damn roll and pronounce my name correctly. "Who's Bessie?" I challenged. He raised his eyebrow. "Sorry...err, Boxy? Can you explain why your page is blue and why you haven't jotted more than two points of the video?" I took no time to think. I just talked. "I had discovered Sir that if I rub this end of the pen on the page at a rather rapid speed, it will cause the atoms inside it to become more active and heat up, seeming as metal is a conductor of heat, when I poke the same end of the pen I rubbed to Damien's back, he will react badly to such an action, which proves my point." Damien turned around. "What the hell was that for? Annoying brat." I nodded. "That concludes my observation sir." He just tut-tutted me and shook his head like he was dealing with an infant child. "Miss Slade, we are watching a video on the study of biology, not the reckless behaviour of immature children in the classroom, SO GET TO WORK!" I gave him a weak smile and nodded. "If that's what you want sir."

 So after that lovely little debate in the science lab, it was finally last period. Seemed like the rumour mill was having it's filling for the day. I heard it was mostly about some girl being harassed in the town library. How tragic would that be? If she shouted help, she would only get shushes and complaining faces. But I had a little moment of glory, but it come out way different then it happened. Some people are so creative.

 I watched the clock. 3:13pm. two more minutes.

 Tick.

 Tock.

 Tick.

 It was being painfully slow; the stupid clock was torturing me.

 "...and after the many tragic events that had led up to the Civil War..."

 Tick.

Tock.

 3:14pm. I was thinking about home. Just wanted to end this horrible day and go to sleep. I think I almost fell asleep right there. But an alarming sound awoke me from the momentary daydreaming.

~BBRIIING! ~

Screams came from every door down the corridor, and a sudden squeals from chairs rung in my ears. I was relieved; I could finally do some productive snoozing. I hurried out the door like the rest of the cattle herd, and speed walked down the corridor. While I was walking, I heard a silent "That's her." I turned around to find the source of the rather deep voice. I looked around, but the coast was clear. I looked in Janitors closets, even around lockers. Weird. No one was around. I shrugged and gave up, probably held no importance to me anyway.

After the long boring bus ride home, I literally face planted my face to the lounge, and stayed there. "Honey, what are you doing that for? Did you have a rough day?" A sweet, melodic voice, belonging to my mother called from the kitchen. “Mmph.”  I mumbled. "Get your head out of there Bixie-box, you'll suffocate." I never knew why she called me that; I honestly thought it was non-related to my name. So I reluctantly got up from where someone’s bottom should be, and slumped to my room.

After many strenuous minutes doing my useless homework, also very unperfected, I fell fast asleep. It's been a long day, and I have another semester until the school weeks are over. Argh too tired to think. I need my rest, enough to get me through another day.