Chapter 4

Silence followed my, admittedly, abrupt statement. I lowered my left hand a little, but not enough to set fire to the rug or the couch. Izzi looked at my fire, and she turned off the lights, so that we could see it more clearly. Inspired by a sudden urge to light the room again, I made a underhand tossing movement. The fire left my hand and shot towards the ceiling. But just before it could make impact with the beams, it separated into smaller ones and circulated around the room to make light. There, they hovered, disturbingly close to light fixtures. It was almost as bright as day inside, and I felt thankful for it.

All of a sudden, Addy stepped forward and moved to the flower vase that was resting on the table. She picked some lavender, inspected it, then flicked her wrist. The flower floated off her hand and started to writhe in the air. The stem split itself into three, then started to braid itself together. When it was done, the now-braided end bent itself to the flower head, and attached itself to the base. When it was in a circle, more sprigs bloomed across the stem. I looked at it with astonishment and interest. It had made itself into a bracelet. Then I looked at Addy, and I realized that the flower didn't make itself into a bracelet; Addy had. She caught it and slipped it on, a smug smile on her face.

 She caught it and slipped it on, a smug smile on her face

"W- wow," I stuttered. "Plant growing was never my thing, but that looks great."

Izzi nodded in agreement. Then she crossed over to a stuffed dog that my sister had left out the day before.

I reached for it. "Oh. Aliexa left it out. Do y-". Then, I gasped.

Izzi was stroking the stuffed dog. Except, it wasn't so stuffed anymore. As a matter of fact, it was breathing, it's tail was wagging, and a very realistic tongue rolled out of its mouth. I reached out to touch it. My fingers met dog fur: cockapoo fur, to be precise. The dog nudged his very wet nose up against my hand.

 The dog nudged his very wet nose up against my hand

"So... I suppose I was right. Both of you are witches." I said slowly, revolving around the spot to see my friends. I suddenly felt extremely tired. I glanced at the clock on the mantle. It was 2:00 am, right on the dot.

"I don't suppose we could talk about this in the morning? I'm tired, and I need to digest this." I stated wearily. "I'm going to bed. If any of you feel up to it, stay by Joseph to attend to his needs when he wakes up. Give me at least 2 hours of sleep, then wake me up when he does."

I was in my bed without even being aware that I had climbed the stairs, and was asleep before I could comprehend that I had gone from one room to another in a second.