Chapter Four: Flirtation Gets You Coke(ca-cola)

POV Austin

Blood. Blood everywhere. On the walls, on the floor, on the bed, so much blood. Tino glanced at me nervously, but I brushed his hand away and stepped from Jaron's room. 

The images flashed in my mind making me sick; the crude writing on the wall reading: She Made Me Do It

I flinched back, dragging my hands along the halls to my office, trying not to get sick in the halls. I was called in at 2am, the worried voice of Tino telling me that Jaron had died. Jaron had killed himself. Jaron didn't have anyone, no family or friends to lean on or depend on, so that meant I didn't have to call anyone about the tragic accident, but that also made me sad, knowing no one knew. 

Jaron killed himself by cutting off his fingers and using them as paint brushes. He slit his major arteries and bled out. He killed himself. 

Just like Shayley.

I forced that thought away. No. Not just like Shayley. Shay's death was an accident and was definitely not suicide. 

I slumped in my desk, my head in my hands. Shit. I was about to punch my desk when I heard a small knock on my door. I didn't realize I was crying until I saw Alan's eyes connect with mine. 

"Oh, shit. Sorry." Alan mumbled, stepping back a bit. "I was just wondering why the cops are here-" 

I wiped my eyes quickly and ran my hand down my face, letting it rest over my lips. "Yeah, yeah. Take a seat." 

Surprisingly, Alan did as he was told. He shut the door with a kick and sat in front of my desk, giving me an odd look. I gave a shaky sigh. "As you know, you're not my only patient." I started, watching as Alan nodded. "You're one of three, Josh, you, and Jaron." I paused as I struggled to find the right words. "Out of you three, I feel extremely confident in saying that you are the most emotionally stable. Jaron, however, was not." 

"Was?" Alan whispered. I nodded, feeling more tears. 

"Yes, Jaron-Jaron died. A little over an hour ago." I felt myself mentally stutter over the images I saw in his room. "We believe he-" 

"There was so much blood." Alan whimpered. I glanced up quickly. 

"How do you know?"

Alan shuddered visibly. "I saw him as the paramedics pulled him from his room. So much blood-" Alan looked even more pale, but a sharp knock sounded on my door. "Shit! Austin, hide me please!" Alan hissed, scrambling about. "I don't want to go back to my room. Josh and Oli keep asking about it-I can't-I don't-" 

"Under my desk." I replied. Alan thanked me silently as he crawled under my desk. I rearranged my limbs so Alan was hidden. "Come-" I started, but the door opened anyway. 

Tino stood with another man. This one was dressed in dark blue scrubs, a slight smile on his face. 

"Austin, this is Jacob Garland. He's a friend of Dr. Mullins." 

I shook hands with the friendly seeming man, not standing from my desk. "Please, excuse my manners." I lied. "It's been a rough day." 

"I would imagine." Jacob said sadly. "Please, call me Jake." 

"Jake here is going to be Alan's temporary nurse." Tino told me. "Until you fully recover from Jaron's passing." 

I felt Alan's hand clench onto my knee causing me to squirm slightly. 

"Huh?" 

"Jake is going to be Alan's caretaker until you're ready." Tino explained. 

"No offense." I said smoothly, standing, forcing Alan's hand to slide down my leg and clamp onto my shin instead. "But I'm fully capable of taking care of Alan."