Flashback Two

My heart pounded relentlessly in my chest as I eased into Taylor's driveway. I still couldn't believe he had jokingly agreed to go bowling with me and then actually followed through with it.

All I had done was mention how I had wanted to go and he told me, he would and I quote, "Decimate you in bowling." And that was a challenge I took seriously.

And suddenly I was at his house, picking him up.

God my life was weird.

"Nice ride." I turned my head as Taylor hopped in my car.

I shrugged, "Thanks. I mean this car is definitely my one prized possession. So really, I appreciate that."

He laughed, "Alright well, ready to get wrecked in bowling?"

"As if," I scoffed, "You have no idea what you're in for"

I pulled onto the highway and drove towards town, "Hey you wanna DJ for me?" I gestured to my phone.

"Sure," Taylor smiled as he scrolled through my music, "Woah! You have this?"

A Neutral Milk Hotel song came blasting through the speakers, "Uh, yes?" I quirked my eyebrow as Taylor excitedly pursed through my music.

"What! And this?"

Next came on an old Green Day song, "Taylor. What are you-"

I was cut off by an N.W.A song. I glanced at him, a small smirk on my face, "God you're so weird."

"I'm just so surprised! You have really good music taste."

"Do I look like someone that has shitty music taste?"

"No! I just mean... its cool."

I eyed him, "Right. Well thanks. I try."

We pulled into the bowling alley and I quickly parked before following Taylor inside. Our small talk ceased as we settled down at our lane,

"You ready for this?" Taylor asked while lacing up his bowling shoes.

"Puh-lease, I was born ready."

I watched as he took his first turn and rolled in a strike. My face immediately fell, "Well, hell." I muttered to myself. He spun around; bringing his fist down with him in excitement,

"Beat that!"

"Uh, yah." My confidence lost momentum as I stepped up. I grabbed the ball and exhaled; bringing my hand down and releasing the ball... straight into the gutter.

There was a moment of silence as I stared down the lane and Taylor stared after me.

Then he started howling.

Howling.

He was like a damn hyena. Taylor couldn't stop laughing and wheezing, while muttering in-between breaths, "You said... I'm so good... I'm the best...as if!"

My face morphed into a scowl, "Shut it, kid."

"But... Savannah!"

I glowered, his smile growing, "Oh, tonight's gonna be fun."

And let me tell you, getting beat 245 to 54 is not fun.

"I'm such a good bowler, as if!" Taylor mocked me as we got back in the car.

"You know, I don't need this in my life."

"Oh, but I think you do." He nudged me with his shoulder, "Come onnnn,"

I rolled my eyes, a smile playing on my lips, "Pancakes?"

"Huh?"

"Sorry, do you want to get pancakes?"

He raised an eyebrow, "Is that even a question?"

So, I drove us to the local diner with Taylor blasting every song he could find and exclaim about in astonishment.

"You're so dumb." I mumbled as I shot him a look and shook my head.

He just smiled brightly.