Flashback Eight

"So why haven't you seen Taylor?" Anna asked as she absentmindedly stirred her lemonade.

I shrugged, swirling a fry in ketchup, "I've texted him a bunch but he keeps saying he's busy."

"Probably busy with his girlfriend."

I glanced up to see our friend Mark, standing over us, "what do you mean?"

He took a seat, "Did you hear, she flew back in."

"Wait, what?" I exchanged looks with Anna, "He and his girlfriend broke up?"

Mark shrugged, reaching over to grab a fry, "I guess not. She flew in from New York about two weeks ago, he hasn't been at work; vacation days."

"What, Savannah, didn't you say he told you he was picking up a friend from the airport?" Anna asked.

"Yah... a friend."

Mark laughed, "Yah, well she's way more than a friend."

"Evidently."

"No, I mean, they got engaged."

I nearly spit my food across the table, "THEY WHAT?"

Anna looked at me wild eyed, "They got engaged? But they broke up over a year ago! But, he moved here to get away from her!"

Mark shrugged, "Look, all I know is they're getting married."

"When?" I cried out.

"The end of the month."

"THE END OF THE MONTH?" Anna and I shouted together.

He nodded, "Yah, man. Sorry I had to tell you."

My heart nearly stopped beating, Taylor had been avoiding me... because his ex-girlfriend/fiancé came back to town. Why did he call her a friend? Why didn't he just tell me? Why did he try to hide it?

Heartbreak washed across my face and Mark noticed it immediately, "Sorry, Savannah. I knew you guys were close. I just thought he would have told you."

"Yah... same."