Brotherhood

The two hour long hike let Hamsel think on the stuff that happened. He knew why he had to go fight and remained loyal to Germany not Hitler. Hermann was talking a bit now and then. Spoke about times in Normandy and Estonia. Speaking about that gave Hamsel flashbacks about Normandy and Estonia. It reminded him where his destination was and where they're going next.

Soon they reached Hamburg. The city was in ruins from the raid last night. There was still smoke rising from the buildings. People were walking about. Some holding their loved ones others just aimlessly walking by. It was the world they lived in. There was nothing they could do about it.

They reached the headquarters and went inside. An officer on a desk stopped them. He seemed to be in his late forties. Some white hair on the side of his head, pockets under his eyes and he seemed to be stressed out. "Who are you?" He asked. "Sgt. Hamsel Ratenham army group Narwa." Saluted Hamsel. Hermann saluted. "Cpl. Hermann Stauffenberg." Said Hermann. "Have identification papers?" He asked. Hamsel pulled out his papers and handed them to The man, Hermann doing the same. The officer looked through and then went to a cabinet and pulled out a file. "Here. Sgt. Ratenham you are being drafted into the Waffen SS and shall go to Aachen for deployment on the Siegfried line." He said. Hamsel was confused. "The SS? Sir I never wanted to join." He stated. "Well you will because your superiors ordered to and you have no choice. This is a great opportunity for you son." Hermann was stunned. What about him? "What about me?" Asked Hermann. "Cpl. Stauffenberg. Lets see, you have deployment unto Panzer school and are being redirected to lieutenant Colonel Piepers battalion." Hamsel began to feel horrible. His friend would leave him. "You both leave today. Sgt. Ratenham shall get on a train heading for Aachen. Cpl. Stauffenberg shall move out via Convoy to Bonn, for Panzer training." Hamsel felt like he got punched in the gut. "Dismissed." Said the officer. Hamsel and Hermann didn't move for a moment. "Dismissed." He repeated in a stern tone. They dragged their feet out as they walked.

Hermann walked with Hamsel towards the train station. They were silent most of the way. But then the conductor called. "All aboard!" He called. Hermann looked at Hamsel. "Well I guess this is it." He said. "It's been a good time Hamsel." He said. "The same can be said here." Said Hamsel. "Hopefully we'll see each other again soon." He said.
Hamsel smiled. He held out his hand and Hermann shook it. "For our families. For our friends. For the people." Said Hamsel. "Always." Said Hermann. Hamsel turned to get on the train. He got on the train with his pack. Hermann was standing far away. The train tracks started moving. Hamsel looked back as the train moved on. "Hamsel!" Called Hermann. "What?" Asked Hamsel. "Godspeed!" He shouted. Hamsel bowed goofingly. Soon the smoke covered Hermann and he disappeared.

Hamsel went inside and got in a seat. He looked out the window and saw Hamburg dissipate with the smoke from the train. Soon he was in the countryside on the fields of Germany. Going south to Aachen. He then drifted on to sleep.

He woke up and felt something cold on his neck. "Hands up kraut." Said a voice in English. Hamsel, thinking a American or English spy was aboard. Held his hitler youth knife closely. He turned and grabbed the collar of his assialant and dragged him down, then held his knife on his neck. The man held his hands up and shouted. "Don't kill me I saved your damn life!" Hamsel looked into the guy's blonde hair and eyes and immedieatly recognized him. Instead of killing him he booked him in the head with the hilt of his knife. "Heinsel. You cockswagged bastard!" He said. Heinsel smiled and patted the part of his head where Hamsel bonked him. "Still got the touch don't you?" He sneered. "That's why you don't sneak up on a veteran like that." Said Hamsel. "Where Hermann?" Asked Heinsel. "He's going to Bonn. He's Joining a Panzer army under lieutenant Colonel Pieper." Answered Hamsel. "Pieper? Damn." He weezed. "What's wrong?" Asked Hamsel. "Pieper is a colonel who fought in Russia during operation Barbosa. I think he was in Estonia after you left. Maybe not but I heard bad things of that guy." He said. "Like what?" Hamsel began to worry. "He ruthless. Never really takes any prisoners. He's one of the few men to live at his age by now." He said. "How old is he? 60? 70?" Asked Hamsel. "Try 29 the bastard is in his late twenties!" That stunned Hamsel. "Damn. But if he lived that long then his men are probably in a good age." He said. Heinsel just shrugged. "I don't know but we'll see if Hermann actually lives." He said.

They passed cologne on the way. The city was demolished and looked as bad as Hamburg. "The cathedral is the only building standing." Sighed Heinsel. Hamsel nodded remembering the bombing. He tried to change the subject. "Soo. What unit are you in?" He asked. "I don't know they never told me. I'm supposed to be in a new squad I got promoted to Sergeant after we escaped Estonia." He said. "Wait what? What happened to army group Narwa?" Asked Hamsel. "After you left. With a wounded Hermann. I stayed behind at tannenberg line. I got sent to another squad and helped with them in the defense of tower hill. We held the line and finally got a victory against the Russians. But it didn't matter." He sighed. "What happened?" Heinsel sighed then took a look outside. "We held against the Russians. But they happened to be in Poland and threatened our flank. I stayed still after getting transferred into three other squads and two platoons. Then we were ordered to withdraw. When we were completely surrounded." Hamsel payed attention. It was a story worth listening. "How'd you get out?" He asked. "We fought our way out. No sleeping, no resting, no pissing. Soon I was in charge of my own squad. I had three men. Where do you think they are?" He asked. Hamsel knew the answer. It was a painful one. "Ones dead. The other two are probably dead by now. No telling ya know? It's just war that's all. We live in it. We die in it." He said. Hamsel sighed and looked outside. He saw a city in the distance. "Hey look. The outskirts of Aachen." Smiled Heinsel. They reached their destination. Now all they had to do was reach the camp and train new soldiers who are now probably the last able bodied men Germany has to offer.