vii

i walked downstairs the next week, pouring some almond milk into my cup of coffee and mixing it around.

there was a sticky note on the refrigerator.

ashlynn,

kids & i went to the grocery store for some food, make sure you get to drum practice on time!

xoxo, mom.

the note read. i took it off the fridge and held it in my hand, reading it over and over. do i have to go? what if tyler is there? what if he gets mad at me again?

i sighed and looked at the clock. 09:00, which gives me an hour to get ready. it takes 2 hours to drive there. i groaned loudly and threw the note in the recycling bin, finishing my coffee and putting the cup in the sink.

i trudged up to my bedroom and got dressed, a simple black shirt, black ripped jeans and some black converse.

my hand ran through my mess of a head, going for that "who gives a shit" look. i rocked it, not to be cocky.

i skipped the makeup, as i just didn't really give a shit that day. just drum lessons, right? then i remembered josh.

and i put on a tiny bit of makeup.

i found myself skipping down my front steps and standing at my car door, the handle in my hand. suddenly, i began to rethink this. do i really want to go back? josh probably thinks im a weirdo, anyways.

before i knew it, i was driving. halfway there. then, parked in the oh-so-familiar driveway.

i took a deep breath and got out of my car, slowly walking up to the front door. i knocked ever so softly; then i heard a faint "coming!" and footsteps rushing towards the door.

a blonde woman who was about the same height as me opened the door. she looked sweet.

"hello! may i help you?" she said politely, a smile on her face.

"um.. is josh there by any chance?" i asked, my voice small. this lady was too sweet for my liking, but it was sweet to know she was sweet and not tyler.

"oh, yes! josh!" she called through the house, looking behind her at the stairs. "wait- are you that ashlynn girl he's been rambling on about?" the woman asked.

"i-" before i could answer, josh stepped up to the door beside the woman. he talks about me?

"ashlynn?" he spoke up, interrupting me. that's all they seem to do here is interrupt people, by Jesus.

"hi. uh, i don't know, but are lessons still a go?" i asked quietly, looking up to meet his eyes shyly. shit, i'm not good at social interaction. his eyes seemingly lit up, and a smile spread across his face.

"yeah! of course!" he practically exclaimed. then, he just stood there, smiling. the blonde woman cleared her throat, gaining his attention.

"oh! ashlynn, this is my mom. mom, this is ashlynn." josh introduced us and stepped back a bit so that i could step inside.

"you can just call me momma dun," the woman- momma dun corrected.

"alright, well, mom, we're going to go and practice." josh informed, practically pulling me to the basement door.

"alright! have fun!" she called after us. i could already tell josh is a momma's boy.

once we were in the basement, he didn't let go of my wrist - which he still had a pretty tight grip on. that'll leave a bruise.

"um..." my voice trailed, looking down at my wrist.

"oh!" he said in realization and took his hand away from my wrist.

"so. uh, i didn't really know if you were coming back, so i don't really have anything to teach.. so i just figured i'd teach you the basics." josh explained. "so, you can have a seat," he directed me to the plush stool at the drumset.

"oh, by the way, sorry about tyler last week. i swear he's never like that. he's actually really sweet." josh explained. i just nodded.

"if that's sweet i don't wanna know what's scary.." i muttered and twirled the drumsticks in my fingers. he chuckled at this. oh shit, he heard that?

"but really, he's not that bad. he's probably gonna come over today. if you're okay with that," josh added the last bit.

"uh, yeah, sure. as long as he doesn't accuse me of stalking you guys." i joked, my voice becoming more comfortable than when i first walked in. his smile widened.

"y'know what? screw today's lesson, i'm just gonna get to know you today. next week we'll play." he pulled up a chair in front of me, making me turn so i was facing him and my side to the drums.

"so, mr. josh, what exactly do you want to know?" i started, a small smile on my lips.

"well, ms. ashlynn, what's your full name?" josh inquired, crossing one leg over the other.

"ashlynn rose connors. yours?"

"joshua william dun."

~~~~~

a/n: i felt it was necessary to incorporate momma dun into this story don't sue me plz.