Chapter Seventeen

Dedication: @5SecondsofDaddyAF because you are the sweetest human being! :D

Ashton woke up, feeling slightly confused when he realized that he was in his dorm room. He looked over and saw Calum was fast asleep, his snores being the only noise filling the room. It was then that the memories of the day before washed over him. Ashton just stayed where he was, reflecting on his life since he had started at Melbourne. It was certainly more drama-filled than he had originally planned for and imagined. However, while he didn't think about it before when it was happening, it now made sense to Ashton that it all had happened for a reason. All of the pain and humiliation that he had went through had led him to what was happening in his life. In a way, Ashton felt somewhat thankful. But in another way, he was resentful about how it happened.

His phone began to vibrate on his desk, creating a loud noise to echo throughout the small space. Hopping out of bed, Ashton grabbed the shaking device before it woke Calum up. The last thing that he wanted to do was wake his roommate and risk being yelled at. However, he remembered that Calum could most likely sleep through a hurricane and he just rolled his eyes. But he looked down on the screen and he spotted a missed call. Ashton quickly called his voicemail and realized that the only missed message that he had was from someone that he could've gone the rest of his life without talking to.

Luke Hemmings.

And then he started wondering how the bully even got his number. From what Ashton could remember, it wasn't connected to his Facebook page. He didn't even use his Facebook enough for it to be connected. His mind went to Calum, but last the boy told him, they weren't talking. Luke wouldn't talk to Michael. Or Anya. He might talk to Bryana, but Bryana wouldn't waste her breath on him, knowing who and what the sport star was capable of.

However, he was curious as to why Luke was calling him. Other than the need to harass him, Ashton couldn't think of any reason. Figuring that he would ignore it, Ashton set his phone down. He would ask Calum when he woke up, even though Ashton already had an idea of what Calum's thoughts were going to be.

Ashton grabbed out his red sweater, only to hear the familiar grunting and groaning of Calum waking up. Ashton turned around, sweater in his hands, watching as his roommate flailed around in order to wake himself up. It wasn't like Ashton got a kick out of just watching Calum; he was self-conscious and didn't want to change in front of him. The thought of Calum or someone other than his mum seeing him naked made him uncomfortable.

"Sleep well?" Ashton asked his roommate.

"I wasn't sleeping," Calum said with a hoarse voice.

"Of course not. The snores and heavy breathing that came out of you were just natural noises that happen when you're wide awake," Ashton pointed out.

"Is Ashton Irwin being sarcastic? I never thought the day would come," Calum asked, a smirk forming on his face. "Why are you up so early anyway?"

"Someone had called me and the vibration of my phone woke me," Ashton explained to him.

"Who would be calling you at the ass crack of dawn?" Calum groaned.

"None other than the famous Luke Hemmings," Ashton revealed, earning a puzzled look from Calum.

"Are you sure?" Calum asked after a minute.

"Yes. It was his voice and the voice also clarified that it was him on the other side of the line," he confirmed.

"What did he want?" the Kiwi boy wondered.

"He just wanted to talk. I wasn't sure that I should answer or respond to him as he may just be looking for an invitation to harass me," Ashton shrugged.