Chapter 1

After school had ended, I went to my locker to retrieve my things.  As I closed the door, my friend, Asher, smiled at me. 

     I jumped in the air, "Gosh, you never fail to scare me!"

     Asher's bright blue eyes filled with apology, "I'm sorry!  I didn't mean to scare you again."

     Asher is eighteen years old. He has light brown hair that curls when it gets too long and fair skin with scattered freckles.  He is one of my best friends.

     I may or may not have thought about how attractive he was as more than a friend... but I know he probably wouldn't even consider me.  Plus, there's the age difference. 

     "I was just wondering if you'd like to go bowling tonight?  I'll pick you up."

     My heart sped up a little, "Tonight?"

     "Yeah, Austin, Emily, and Jack are going, too."

     Wait... what's that feeling?  Disappointment?

     "Oh!  Oh, okay.  I'll ask my mom.  I'll text you later, okay?"

     Asher charmingly smiled, "Great."

     I watched as he walked away.  Stop it, I thought, he is too old for you and would never think of you that way.

                                   ~ Ella ~

     That night at dinner, Mom and Grandma were the last ones talking at the dinner table.

     "So how was school?"

     My mind came back down to earth, "Oh, it was fine."

     I pushed around the crumbs on my plate, "Can I go bowling with Asher tonight?  He said he would take me."

     Mom raised an eyebrow, "Is it just you two?"

     "No, a few friends from school will be there."

     Mom sighed, "I don't know, there is school tomorrow."

     I groaned at her response.  Grandma spoke up, "Oh, let her go!  Who is this Asher fellow?"

     Mom answered, "A friend from school.  What is he, a senior?"

     Grandma's eyes lit up, "Oh, an older man!"

     I could feel my cheeks turning pink, "No!  It's not like that.  He is just a friend."

     Mom added, "He is quite a gentleman.  There aren't many of those left in this world."

     I replied, "Believe me, I know."

     Grandma butted in, "Do you like him?"

     I stuttered a little, "Uh... I don't really know... I haven't really thought about it..."

     Mom finally concluded, "That's enough questioning for one night.  You can go as long as you are back by ten o'clock.  Understood?"

     I smiled widely, "Yes, ma'am!  Thank you!"

     I kissed the two women on the cheek and ran upstairs to text Asher.

    Ella: My mom said I can go if I'm back by 10
     Asher: No problem, be there in ten minutes

     I smiled to myself as butterflies filled my stomach.  I knew it was pointless to feel this way, but I just couldn't help it.  My thoughts drove me crazy.

     Maybe he will be different?

     There's no way he'll ever like you.

     But he's such a nice guy.

     Before I knew it, there was a knock at the door.  I quickly ran downstairs to the front door and called out, "Bye guys!"

     Asher started the conversation in the car, "I'm glad your mom said you could come tonight."

     I smiled, "Yeah, me too.  Thanks for taking me."

     Asher nodded, "Anytime."

     He pulled into the parking lot to see the rest of our friends hanging out at the entrance.  Emily and Jack were dating so Austin was standing there like a third wheel.

     I've always been close to Austin.  I told him all about my old crush on James, but I just hadn't updated him that I didn't like him anymore.  Austin was a senior, too, and Asher's best friend.

     We all greeted each other and went inside.  I found myself drawn more and more to Asher as the evening went on.  It was definitely a crush now.

                                   ~ Asher ~

     Ella had been acting differently.  She's always been very sweet to me, but she just seemed different.  She's the kindest person I know.  I love the way she...

     Don't think like that.

     She's too young for you.

                                    ~ Asher ~

     Two months later after school,  Austin and I hung out at my house to play some video games.  On a snack break, I decided to ask about what had occupied my mind for the past few months, "Have you noticed that Ella's been acting different toward me lately?"

     Austin took a huge gulp of his Mountain Dew, "Not really, she's always nice."

     "I know that, she's a sweetheart.  I'm just wondering if she has a crush on me.  I know she tells you everything, has she said anything?"

     Austin replied, "No, I know she likes this one guy in her science class.  I think his name is James... so I doubt she likes you like that.  Why?"

     Asher's heart sunk a little, "Oh, no reason."