Chapter 2

~ Ella ~
One Month Later

     Before I went to bed, I texted my best friend, Annie.

Ella: Hey, are you up for talking?
Annie: Always :) what's on your mind?
Ella: I've been thinking a lot about Asher lately, as usual. And I just don't think he's that into me. I know he loves me like a friend, but idk if it's anything more?
Annie: I honestly don't know what to tell you... just talk to him I guess
Ella: I can't, I don't want to ruin our friendship
Annie: That's true... but it might work out for the better.
Ella: Idk, I'm gonna go to sleep. Goodnight
Annie: Night

I woke up the next morning and headed off to school. Of course, the first person I saw was Asher. He greeted me with a hug and a big smile, "Hey! I missed you over the weekend!"

I smiled back, but not as enthusiastically, "I missed you, too."

Asher asked, "Are you free tonight? Maybe we could have a movie over at my place?"

I genuinely smiled, "I'd love to."

He replied, "Great!"

As he turned to walk away, I stopped him, "Asher, wait."

He turned around and his eyes looked like a puppy, "Yeah?"

My heart pounded in my chest as I quietly asked, "Can I tell you a secret?"

He nodded truthfully, "Of course, anything."

I motioned for him to come closer so I could whisper in his ear. I put my arms around him and went to whisper, but kissed his cheek instead.

Asher laughed, "Awe! That's cute!"

I wasn't sure what to think of his reaction, so I smiled with him. Then the bell rang, "Darn, I have to get to class now. I'll see you at your house around 7?"

Asher winked, "Perfect."

~ Asher ~

What was that?

Did Ella really just kiss me?

It was on the cheek, but still!

     Crap, why didn't I kiss her back?

I immediately went to Austin.  I luckily found him in front of his locker, "Hey, Austin!"

     He turned around and greeted me, "Hey! What's up?"

     I held the back of my neck and Austin laughed, "It's about Ella, isn't it?"

     I asked, "How did you know?"

     Austin pointed out, "You always touch your neck when you're nervous. Anyway, what's wrong?"

     "Well, it's just that I've been trying to get over her because she likes that other guy, but she just kissed me on the cheek."

     Austin rolled his eyes, "You know that girls kiss people on the cheek all the time, right?"

     "Not Ella.  She's different."

     Austin groaned, "Look, man.  I'm telling you, she's not into you.  She tells me everything and she'd tell me if she liked you.  You need to move on!"

     Austin was probably right.  No, he was definitely right.  Why would she like me anyway?  She probably likes James because he's closer to her age than I am.  I guess it is time for me to move on.  It's been a few months now.

     "Dude, you okay?"

     I nodded, "Yeah, sorry.  I kinda spaced out there.  You're right."

     Austin replied, "I know I am.  Hey, see those girls over there?"

     He motioned to the group of popular girls.  I nodded.  He added, "Go talk to them.  I bet you'll get a date for tonight."

     I replied, "I can't, Ella is coming over for a movie tonight." 

     "Well, tell her something came up!  You need to get your mind off her.  Go on!"

     I ran my fingers through my hair in attempt to straighten it before I walked over to the girls.  A few of them whispered as I approached them.  I smiled, "Hey, I'm Asher."

     The short brunette replied, "I'm Diana."

     The rest of the girls introduced themselves, but I thought Diana was the one I was most drawn to.  Luckily, the all had random reasons to leave the two of us alone together.  Diana had nothing on Ella, but I knew I had to forget about her somehow. 

     "I know this is really fast, but are you free after school?"

     There was no way I was cancelling movie night with Ella.

     Diana purred, "It just so happens I am.  Got any ideas?"

     I gulped, "We could go see a movie?"

     She giggled.  It was different than the way Ella giggled.  Ella's resembled a chipmunk and Diana's was much more mature.

     "Sounds good to me.  Meet me after school at the front entrance?"

     I smiled back, "Okay.  See you then."