Chapter 25: The Cabin

25 March 2016

Berlin, Germany

Wren

I don't know when I fell asleep, but I was shaken into wakefulness. I blinked, staring up at Howl. Whose face was exceedingly too close. I threw my hands up to push him out of the way, but Howl refused to budge. His eyes crackled with fury. I felt a touch of fear in my gut. I touched his arm, "What's wrong?"

"What the hell happened last night with Echo?" Howl asked. "When did she return? And what did you two talk about?"

"I don't understand...? She just, she came in last night and we talk about the fact that she eliminated Thorn." I shrugged. "That's all. Why? What's got you so freaked out?"

Howl leaned in close, studying me for a few moments. He must not have seen anything because he leaned away. He motioned for the kitchen. "She's waiting for us in there. She wants to talk to us, but she warned me to let you sleep for a bit."

"Alright," I nodded. "I'll be there in a minute."

Howl nodded and walked away. After a moment, I swung my feet over the side and let my feet touch the soft carpet. I ran my hands through my hair. I closed my eyes and tried to calm my thoughts. After a few minutes of trying, I decided to say fuck it and throw on some shoes and a shirt. And then it was time to head out to the kitchen to hear what Echo had planned.

Aurora was nibbling on a piece of bread as I walked past her. Howl was leaning against the counter, barely acknowledging me as I came to stand next to him. Echo was leaning against the counter opposite of them. Paiute was lazing across her shoulders. She arched a brow at me, "You get enough sleep?"

"Um, sure?" I stared at her curiously.

"Good because you need all of the rest and strength," Echo said. "We're going to London."

"London?" I frowned. Even Howl looked confused. "But isn't ALDAR here?"

"Echo, ALDAR's base has always been here. In Berlin." Howl shook his head.

"She moved it," Echo replied. "Berlin was too obvious, and too small. Viper needed to expand, but she also needed to be somewhere that wasn't in Germany. ALDAR had been here too long and despite her best efforts, it had garnered too much attention. And so, a few years ago she began to make a move. Discreetly, so that agents such as myself wouldn't notice. And then all at once, she moved ALDAR, and started over."

"Where?" It wasn't totally unbelievable. In order to remain discreet, to keep an organization growing in the shadows, it had to be moved. Someone – such as Echo – would come back for revenge to find a place filled with dust and spiders.

"There's a tiny place near Canterbury, London that might have a few clues," Echo smiled at us.

I shrugged, "I guess if there was ever a time for me to travel, it would be now, right?"

Howl shook his head, ignoring me. "It'll take us ten to twelve hours to get there by car."

"We have enough time," Echo said, her eyes sparkling. "Thorn made sure that we'd at least have three days before Viper realizes his betrayal. We have already wasted half of one. We have one day to get there, and during that time we will prepare. That is all we have. And it is time to move."

26 March 2016

Between New Forest and Canterbury, England

Wren