Friends-IV

Emmeline

Present Day

        "Continue," Dumaine presses, slurping the last of his drink.

        "That's all." I shrug.

        "But how did you get to Louisiana from some lake in..."

        "Wisconsin."

        "How'd you get here from Wisconsin? That's almost Canada!"

        "Well I started even further, in Washington. It just happened. I wandered around. I slept wherever looked comfortable unless, like most nights, a Demon took me. Then I'd wake up in expensive hotels, with new clothes and sometimes a slightly different haircut. I didn't set a destination for myself, letting the Demons take me where they wanted. Long ago, I tried getting back home until I realized it's impossible without help. I just try to live the eight to ten hours I usually get per week. I've learned and evolved a lot."

        "What about Amistifer?" He leans in.

        "Amistifer is Amistifer. I see him at least once a month. Sometimes he just watches me, others we talk. He's exactly the same. I'm gonna tell you about Osinsius now."

        "Why'd you have to tell me all that first?"

        "Because," I answer. I want to know what he thinks of my memories. Of my father. But I don't ask.

        "... So who's this new Demon?"

        "The Great Osinsius. The Shadow's Eyes. The Bad Omen. The Dreaded Voice. He has many names, but the real one is just Osinsius. He knows of every danger for everything and everyone. He's literally every shadow in the world. He's always present. He's listening right now." I poke at my bag's shadow, seeing if it'll move. When it doesn't I stoke it like a cat.

        "But the grand part is," I continue "you can see him. Everyone can see Osinsius. He builds himself from the shadows around him, stretching them out to make a human form. It's how you can tell he's around. Nothing near him has a shadow. It's fascinating. He's the only Demon that regularly communicates with humans as well as Demons. But you never want him to talk to you. The Dreaded Voice. There are so few who have heard his voice and are still alive. So, so few..." I trail off, laying my head on the table. "And now I'm one of them."

        Every story Amistifer told me about him is flooding back into my head. How he saves people. How he saves Demons. How he has human emotions. But how sometimes...

        My head shoots up in alarm. "If he panics he'll start a massacre!"

        He didn't sound calm when we spoke. And Amistifer will be the first in his line of fire.

        I jerk up, sling my backpack over my shoulder, and bolt out the door. But I'm forgetting something. Just before the door swings shut, I remember.

        "C'mon, Dumaine!"

        I don't wait for him because I need to fix this. Do I call for Amistifer? For Osinsius? Do I yell at my shadow? Why didn't I remember that part of the stories earlier?!

        I run and run and run but I don't run out of breath and my legs don't get tired and my feet don't hurt because I didn't get to tell Dumaine this but I've run twelve miles at full speed before because I wanted to see how far a Demon would chase me. I run so much that it's nearly as easy as breathing. I almost run as much as a Demon, something I learned to do from Amistifer. So I keep going. And I just keep going. But I don't know where I'm going.

        I'm running down streets, across parking lots, through places I probably shouldn't be. I pass cars and buildings and people and Demons. And I almost pass something I can't immediately tell is which. He steps out of a little light blue car parked in a dreary, run-down parking lot. I know he's not human. But I just as easily know he's no Demon. He's stepping forward, closer to me and to where I've chosen to stop and to where Dumaine is probably looking for me several miles behind.

        The thing is pretending to be human. He looks like a man, about twenty-five, well over a foot taller than me, dark, slightly curly hair, rosy pale skin, rather thin. He strolls casually toward me, but I can feel the excitement radiating off him. He stops a few feet away, an enormous smile trying to hide itself from his face, but his eyes shine brighter than any smile could. They take up a good portion of his face with a sparkling blue, almost the exact same color as his car. He peers down at me, his teeth clenched in an attempt to not laugh. It's my clothes. Dumaine made me change into an outfit he and the Demon had bought for me once we got to the Waffle House. The sleeves on the maroon shirt are three inches too long, the gray jeans are even longer, rolled up three or four times so I can walk and the only reason they haven't slid off my hips is because of the white belt they bought after we poked some new holes in it.

        I peak at what he's wearing and immediately smile, understanding his hidden laughter. His long-sleeved maroon shirt fits him perfectly, as do his gray jeans and white belt. The only difference between our outfits is his brown boots and my white Chuck Taylors.

        "Hello, there. My name's Lochlan. I'm here to help you." He offers his hand, but I don't take it because he's Scottish. Do Scottish people shake hands? Is shaking hands a universal thing? I've only shaken eight people's hands before. Why's he here if he's from Scotland? Aren't Scottish people supposed to have red hair? Or is that Irish? Or both? What if I'm actually standing in front of a Scottish Demon possessing a normal guy? I've never seen or been told about Demons possessing anyone but me. What if Amistifer's been lying to me?

        What if Amistifer's already dead?

        "Yes, I need help. Amistifer may be dead and I need to find Osinsius. He's very upset and is looking for Dindolcon, Fonsfvic, and Illyvimsius. This probably doesn't make any sense to you but I'd be amazing if it did," I report.

        "Yes, it does, but the thing is, Osinsius—

        "It does?" I tiptoe back. This isn't normal. No one else knows about the Demons. Who is this guy? What is this guy? And why is he here now?

        "Yes. I know it's surprising." He pauses. "But I can help you. Osinsius hasn't and isn't going to kill Amistifer. They've got an intricately complicated past and an even more perplexing relationship going on." How does he know more than me? "Amistifer's in no danger. You, on the other hand, may be." His eyes flick toward something behind me. "So I suggest we quietly and quickly"—He begins backing up toward his car, his voice getting fainter with each word—"make our way to my car to finish this conversation... without turning around," he adds as the thought to turn around enters my mind. Instead, I follow him, shuffling to his car, keeping my eyes locked on his.

        Amistifer never said there's anything wrong with getting into cars with strangers.

Thanks for reading! Do you trust this new Scottish guy? Do you think Emmeline is a little insane? Comment on it! And don't forget to vote! A new piece is shared every other Wednesday!