Chapter 3: Sweet Caroline

Caroline's POV:

Hello there! My name is Caroline Judy Puckerman. My dad, Noah, is a US Navy retiree and now a football coach and my mom, Quinn, works as an important executive at a law firm in New Haven. But my mom got the opportunity to transfer jobs to any other city in the nation and she chose a tiny little town in one of the worst places ever. We moved to Lima, Ohio just this past summer so now I go to William McKinley School for the Performing Arts.

Ugh.

Mom says that that's where she and Daddy met so it holds a special place in their hearts. My little brother, Tony, will be going to the local middle school. We don't really like this new city. But oh well. It's the very first day of the school year. I was happy it was, because this didn't draw much attention to me. As I first walk into the school and walk over to my locker, I see a flyer on a bulletin board for auditions for the New Directions Glee Club. It says only juniors and seniors can audition and freshmen and sophomores can join the ND jrs. Perhaps I'll audition later. I can sing; I just like singing in public. I don't even think either of my parents know I can sing, to be honest. I also see a flyer to try out for the Cheerio's cheer team. I like cheerleading. I make a mental note to try out for the Cheerios later after school, too.

I start my first two periods, art and english, and then I decide to try out for the New Directions Glee Club during 3rd period. I walk into the auditorium and see over 100 kids trying out, for 12 (TWELVE!) spots.

I don't know why so many people want to be in this Glee Club.

As I'm getting ready and warming up, I hear a boy sing Somebody to Love by Queen.

His voice is beautiful.

I peek out from the curtains and watch this guy sing his heart out. When he finishes, the director of the school and main glee club director, Mr Schue and his assistant coach (Sam I think?) get up and start clapping. I almost start clapping too, then I remember I'm behind a curtain.

Turns out, the guy's name is Chris.

After Chris, it's my turn four auditions later. I have prepared Rumor Has It by Adele. I go up onto the stage.
"Hi. I'm Caroline Puckerman. I'll be singing--"
My Schue stops me. "Wait, Puckerman? As in Noah Puckerman's daughter?"
I wonder why and how he knew my dad when I remember that both of my parents went to this school. "Um, yeah. I'm his daughter."
"Oh my god. You look so much like Quinn. Wow, the resemblance is... wow." Sam says, in awe. I blush as I've been told this many times before.
"So," Mr Schue asks, "What will you be singing for us today?"
"I'll be singing Rumor Has It by Adele."
"Ahhh, a classic. All right let's see what you've got."

I begin singing.

Once I finish the last lyric, Mr Schue and Sam stand up and clap.

I smile and bow slightly. I walk off the stage and see Chris talking to a girl with dark hair and in a Cheerio's outfit. I decide they look friendly enough so I go up to them.

"Hi. I'm Caroline."

_______________________________

What do y'all think? Slightly less cringey or still very, very, very cringey?

Please comment and vote! :D

~Naomi