Partners

"Crap crap! Oh God! My first day and I'm already running super late!"

Kevin Anderson, aged twenty-two and fresh out of college whined to himself as he placed the last piece of stale, overcooked toast in his mouth. The red head turned a corner and dashed down a secluded street. An accidental shoulder check made him stumble a little and turn around in confusion. "Shit! I'm so sorry!" He yelped to a tall figure that had been walking by him. He took a moment to give the man a quick once over. The person half turned to level a glare at the smaller man, revealing a tight black wife beater, dark skinny jeans, and black, low heeled boots. Kevin stared, mouth agape, at the scowling person then shivered as his eyes spotted the almost imperceivable red lines and splatters that dotted his exposed arms. "Uh...um... I-I apologize again." He managed to stutter out.
The man scoffed then turned to walk away.

Kevin suddenly remembered that he was running way behind schedule and turned to run towards his new office building.
'Where the hell did he come from?' He wondered to himself. 'And was that...blood on him?' He shook his head at the thought as he rounded the final corner and burst through the doors of a massive building.

"NEW HIRE! You're late!" A voice called out once he reached the twenty-eighth floor. "I-I am so,so, so, so, sorry Mister......." Kevin wracked his brain for a solid minute before the man cleared his throat and brought him back to reality. "Um...Mr. Gonzalez!"

"It's Gomez!" The burly, red faced man snapped back. Gomez sighed at the way the panting ginger jumped at his words. "You're late and you forget names. Why did I hire you again?" He asked himself. Without thinking, Kevin answered the rhetorical question. "Because I was top in my class, sir! And I had an awesome reference!" He grinned proudly, adjusting his thick, black rimmed glasses.

"Go find your desk, Anderson. Your partner is out on a mission right now but I'll bring him in to meet you once he returns." Gomez instructed, already regretting his decision to hire the quirky young man.

Kevin made his way to a room with two small desks in it. Examining what looked to be his partner's desk revealed little about the person he'd soon be working with. The desk merely sported a Manila file folder, a few neatly arranged pens and pencils, and a black beanie with white stripes running along the sides. The young man picked the beanie up and examined it. The ends were slightly frayed and it was obvious that the hat was a few years old. A knock suddenly sounded on the door making Kevin drop the beanie in surprise.

Gomez opened the door and stepped into the room, noticing the hat on the floor with a frown. "Rockwell hates for that thing to be touched. And in case you're wondering, he's already back from his mission." He husked. The burly man moved to pick the dark hat up then put it back in its place.
"Let me warn you now kid, you might not last three months with him as your partner. He is extremely difficult to work with. He's gone through eight different partners this month. He doesn't take well to new hires; they usually quit within a day or two of working with him. His last real partner was killed in action so he hasn't been in the best of moods lately."

Kevin swallowed thickly and lowered his head for a moment before picking it back up. "I've heard about his partner." He whispered quietly. Before Gomez could even question the sudden mood change, the sounding of boots could be heard echoing through the halls. "Speak of the devil..." Gomez said motioning to a tall raven haired man whose face was hidden by an expressionless mask.

The man removed the plastic hiding his face to reveal a mess of dark hair that was matted to his sweaty forehead and a large scar stretching from  his scalp down to just above his eyebrow.
"Hey, I know you!" Kevin yelped.

"Are you serious Gomez? This is all you could come up with? He looks like he's pissed his pants twice today." The man scoffed, purposely ignoring the ginger as he walked to his desk and placed the beanie on his head.
"I'll have you know I haven't pissed my pants in about ten years!" Kevin countered. "Did you know that you were my partner when you bumped into me earlier?"
"You bumped into me. And no I did not. I would've taken care of you before you even reached headquarters had I known." Eddward growled.

"Easy there, Rockwell. Anderson was the best I could do on such short notice. and you two are going to get along. You're running out of partner options so you'd better not fuck this one up. Here is his file; you gotta give the kid credit for his smarts." Gomez said handing over a folder stuffed to the brim with information on Kevin.

"Umm... wait what is all of that and where'd you find it?!" Kevin asked as he snuck a peek at the sheets detailing nearly every moment of his adult life.

"To work here you have to go through extensive background checks." Gomez said dismissively. "Rockwell, since he's lacking in the physical department, he will not be joining you on the field. Instead,he'll be your lookout and will be alerting you of any dangers."

"So he'll be hiding behind a desk while I'm on the field. Tch. May as well let me go solo." Eddward scoffed. "He's just a temp right?"

"I'm not a temp! I'm hired here full time!" Kevin interjected.
"He's right...he is full time but like all full time people he still is on a thirty day trial. Now, if you two don't mind, I'm going back to my office to finish up some things. I trust you'll behave yourself and try to get to know your new partner Rockwell." With that, Gomez took his leave.

Eddward grumbled something under his breath before brushing past Kevin to take his seat.
"So, what's our first mission?" Kevin asked sitting down in his swivel chair and spinning around. "I'm so ready for this! I bet assassin life is just like the movies!" He grinned.
Eddward frowned but remained silent.
"How long have you been doing this Rockston?" Kevin asked his new partner. The raven haired man ignored him, turning his attention to the paperwork on his desk instead.
"Umm... excuse me, I was talking to you Rockston. I know you don't like new people but at least answer me."
"That's not my name." Eddward husked.
"I'm sorry, what was it again? I'm bad at names."
"Rockwell."
"Well Rock, when should I expect our first m-AHH!" Just then, a mission report popped up on the screen making Kevin shriek at the alert chime. "Shit! You could've warned me uh, crap what's your name again? Rockville! Uh, um, it says that there's a hit on a...Jason Forrest. How do I accept it?"
"There's no choosing whether to accept or decline a mission." Eddward grumbled. He stood up from his desk, pulled his hat off, then placed his mask over his face.
"I'll be back."
"What?! Whoa! You can't leave yet! You don't even know the details!"
Kevin whirled around and gave Eddward a confused look.
"Give them to me then. And hurry." The masked man sighed, glaring at Kevin through the small holes in the plastic.
"He's in a back alley on fifth street..." The ginger said once he figured out how to cycle through the camera feeds on his computer. "Him! It's him! Go, now!" He yelled excitedly as the screen stopped on a dark figure making an exchange in an alleyway.

Eddward gave an annoyed sigh before casually strolling to the doorway. "I don't know who the hell you think you are bossing me around like that, but I'll make damn sure you know by the end of the week that it isn't me." He threatened. Moments later he's gone.