Chapter 8

Riley’s POV:

I didn’t stop running until I was outside. Ignoring the shouts of my brothers, I sprinted to the forest.

The fact that he just looked like he didn’t care. How he just sat there, an almost bored expression on his face.

I clenched my teeth. Kyle. Kyle was my mate.

The Moon Goddess has surely messed up this time. Surely there is a mistake. I can’t have Kyle be my mate. He is too arrogant and full of himself, and that is only from meeting him once.

I heard my brothers catch up to me, their feet lightly crunching the leaves as they stepped. There was only one thing in the world I wanted, and it was to be left alone.

“Riley?” the timid voice of Royce spoke up.

With a sigh, I turned around to face them. All five of their faces showed concern and worry. It was then that I realized that as I was freaking out, they were too.

As great as it would be to just not care, to let myself be void of feelings, that was impossible. I still felt the anger coursing through my veins.  The need to do something, to release my anger was overwhelming. I felt as my eyes turned into their amber color, a sign that I was going to shift, and soon.

“Oh shit,” Rick cursed.

Those two words made my frustration increase. As I struggled to stay in my human form, my brothers just stood there, ready to shift if I was going to.

Suddenly, my legs cracked. In result, I collapsed onto my knees. I began to prepare myself for the searing pain that would soon completely consume me. Just as I was anticipating the rest of the change, a feeling of calmness clouded my mind. I felt as the sensation seemed to spread throughout my body. It coursed down my torso, out to the tips of my fingers, and down to my feet.

Just as soon as I started to shift, I stopped. How did that happen? What is going on? Is the Moon Goddess visiting me? Did I screw up with her?

A zillion questions flitted on the tip of my tongue. Still crouched near the ground, I was wondering what phenomenon had just occurred.

I suddenly became aware of a hand on my shoulder. I lifted my head to find out whom the hand belonged to me. My eyes recognized the face of Rory, his features scrunched up in concentration.

He opened his eyes and they met mine.

“I am sorry, I had to do it. You were going to shift, and I just couldn’t let it happen so close to the school,” he croaked, a soft and guilty look upon his face.

I then realized what the calm sensation had been. Rory had used his Were gift on me. I should be mad, the way he controlled my emotions. However, I couldn’t bring myself to lash out against him. If anything, I should feel grateful that he stopped my shift, saving me from indescribable pain.

I smiled at him, and he seemed to instantly relax.

“Thanks for that.” I told him truthfully. I turned to face my brothers, who looked just as sad as I felt.

“I am sure that your mate just doesn’t realize how good he got it,” said Rider.

I tensed. Mate. He was my mate, and he didn’t even care. The fact that my brother even mentioned Kyle had my blood boiling.

Out of rage, I whipped around, ready to lash out at anything that got in my path. My gaze settled on a huge pine tree. Without a second thought, I swung my arm into the trunk.

Anything. Anything would work, just to release the anger. My blood was on fire, the sensation of adrenaline taking over. Only one thing mattered, the need to calm the storm.