Chapter 1♔

Danielle

"So, which one of you is going to buy drinks?" I ask, walking into Johnny's Tavern. The bar was packed.

"I guess I will," my best friend, Anna. Anna, her boyfriend and my other best friend, Luke, and I had made a bet. I, the Cardinals fan, said that if the Royals won tonight, I would buy drinks. Luke and Anna agreed, saying they would do the same if the Cards won.

Of course, my boys pulled through with a behind the back win. We took Luke'a car from Kauffman to the Power and Light District, my personal favorite place for drinks.

We find only two seats at the crowded bar but decide that it would be alright.

After a couple shots, we were all a little woozy. Most of the time, I didn't mind third-wheeling, but right now, my best friends were all over each other. Luke was sitting in the other chair with Anna on his lap. So cliche.

"You know, there's another chair," I suggest, motioning my head to the now empty barstool on the opposite side of me.

"I'll take it," a voice behind me said as they slid into the seat. I turn my head, then my body to face the man, only to realize it's the first baseman for the Royals. "Cute jersey," he says, referring to my Carpenter jersey.

"Cute loss," I retort, and he fends hurt.

"Ouch. What's your name, feisty one?" He asks, placing his chin in his hand.

"Dani," I reply.

"Short for anything?"

"You like to ask questions, don't you, Hosmer?" I say, playing with the straw of my drink. "Danielle."

"Just bein' friendly. Does anyone ever call you Ellie? Cool, Ellie it is," he smirks, answering his own question. I roll my eyes at his banter, a small smile on my lips.

"My turn to ask questions. Shouldn't you be with your team, sulking about your loss to the greatest team in baseball?" I say.

"Woah, there, Tiger. Don't get ahead of yourself. It was close," he argues.

"Whatever makes your sleep at night, Hosmer."

"Don't call me that. It makes me feel like I'm at the stadium," he scrunches his nose. I throw my head back in laughter at his facial expression.

"I sincerely apologize, Eric," I joke and he smiles.

"So, Cardinals fan in Kansas City. You from St. Louis?" He asks, ordering a drink. "You want anything?" Eric checks before the bartender leaves. I shake my head no.

"Yeah, born and raised. I moved here for college, and that's where I met these two," I said, pointing to my right where Anna and Luke were.

"Ellie, no one's there," he chuckles.

After turning to look, I sigh. "Anna and Luke were supposed to take me home. Instead they decide to go bang each other," I try to pout, but can't help the small grin that is on my face.

"Come dance with me," he says, pulling me off the stool and to the crowded dance floor. Eric leads me through, wriggling our way towards the center.

We danced to all of the songs that blared through the speakers. Some we knew and "sang" along, others we didn't, but still danced.

"Break?" I suggest, seeing the sweat brim his hairline.

"Break," he confirms and we head outside of the hot bar.

After walking around KC Power and Light, we decide to call it a night. "Can I take you home?" Eric asks, slinging his arm loosely around my shoulders.

"Mhm," I nod, leaning into him as we walk to where his car is parked. "Nice truck," I comment climbing into the brand new car.

"Thank you," he grins, starting the ignition. "You said you went to college here? Where?" He pulls out of the parking space and onto the street after I give him my address.

"Mizzou," I say running my hand along the interior. "I majored in journalism, minored in music."

"That's a nice school. Can you sing?" He reached over, grabbing my hand. The little signs of affection are giving me butterflies.

Who the hell am I, I didn't know I had a middle school crush on Eric.

"Eh, I sang all throughout high school. I play instruments," I explain.

"AH, a journalism and band nerd! Perfect!" He jokes, warm laughs coming from him. His thumb rubs the back of my hand, letting me know he was kidding.

I join in on the laughter, but manage t get out, "No, not band. Orchestra. Cello and violin, but I'm better at cello. I cheered, too, so I wasn't a total loser."

"And a cheerleader! Can you do a flip?" He asks, cocking his head to the side to look at me before returning his eyes to the road.

"Of course, silly. I didn't become a cheerleader by doing a somersault," I smile.

"Will you do one for me sometime?" He asks, and I promise to.

Too soon, we're at my apartment that is just off the Plaza.

"Thank you for taking me home, I really appreciate it." I smile.

"Thank you for a great night. I'll walk you to your door?" I agree, and we both get out of the truck.

"I've got a proposal," he says once we get in the elevator. "Will you be at the day game tomorrow?"

"Yeah, why?" I question, pushing the button for the 7th floor.

"I'm calling my shot early. A home run, and I get to take you out after the game," he challenges as we step out of the elevator.

"Deal."

"And how am I going to get ahold of you, Miss Ellie?" he asks, stopping next to me at my door.

"I guess you'll just have to get my phone number, huh?" I tease, poking his chest.

After typing my number into his phone, we say goodbye.

"I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?" he says, watching me open my door.

"If and only if you hit that homer. I'll be watching," I lean up, kissing the corner of his mouth. With that I duck inside my apartment, but before I close the door, I see him standing there, a smile on his face.

♔♔♔

Boom, first chapter. How do you guys like it? I really love how I did the cover. I don't know how I came up with the idea, but I'm super pleased how it turned out. Vote and comment!