Chapter 12

Hours had passed and Tord was already asleep, so was Edd.  I looked at Matt.

"Aay." He turned is attention away from the window and to me.  "He really likes you."  I said nodding my head a Edd who had his head on Matt's shoulder.  He looked down and the sleeping boy and smiled.  He looked back out the window. 

"Ya know, Tord has liked you ever since you two met."  Matt said still looking out the window.

"Really?"

"Yea! I don't know why he didn't just tell you." I looked off to the side. An awkward silence had fallen over the car. I could tell that Matt had fallen asleep because there was a soft tapping of his head on the window every time we hit a bump.

I looked at Tord's soft face. How did I get so lucky? I thought to myself.

"Tom, is it?" Pat, one of the red soldiers spoke up.

"Yes sir?"

"You can call me Pat, by the way. The ginger is right you know."

"What?"

"Red Lea-, I mean, Tord, would always come back to base happy as can be, he would always talk about this boy named Tom. He would tell us about how cute he was and how he wishes that he could be with him. This was of course before he left for the first time." I noticed that Pat had turned around in his seat and was now checking us out. "Ya know, Paul and I, we care about Tord, like he is our son."  That is when something shiny caught my eye. Glanced at Pat's hand and saw a wedding band. "Paul and I got married during the war. Red Leader actually attended! It was the happiest moment of my life, to get married to the one I love." He smiled. "So Tord may seem hard on the outside but he has his soft spots."

"I've realized."

Pat sat back down in his seat and I looked back down at Tord's face. It is so obvious now. I should have known. I gently kissed him on the cheek. He smiled and nuzzled his face into my neck.

All of a sudden, the car violently jerked to a stop.  Everybody woke up as Pat and Paul jumped out of the car to help us. 

(Tord POV)

We had arrived at the temporary camp.  There were several tents pitched and a fire in the center.

I sleepily blinked awake.  I was still wearing Tom's sweatshirt... yea lets just leave it at that.

The door next to us opened and a rush of air blasted in.  I took a last deep breath of Tom's sweet scent before pulling out of the blue hoodie.

"Wait, arm,". I had immediately remembered that Tom had taken off my arm and left it in the car.  I snatched it on the way out.  Pat helped Tom out of the car while I reattached the metal limb

I turned to get out of the van, but instead of Pat who was helping me out, it was Tom.  I gave a weak smile, because as an important figure like me, you aren't really supposed to date.

He put his arms around my waist and lifted me out of the car.  Dang he is strong.  My face got red as a big smile spread across his face.  He finally put me on the ground and handed me my red sweatshirt.

I thanked him before putting it on, then I puffed out my chest in an attempt to make myself appear bigger when I marched into the camp.

"Hey look! Red Leader is back with new recruits!!"

"Oh my God it's Red Leader!!" I was amazed they still liked me even though I left them.

I looked back at my friends, they were handed the Red Army uniform. I smiled, although the thought going through my mind was what would I do if even one of them died?