Company

She yawned as she sat in the car and rubbed her hands over her face. Today had been a long day. The constant list of patients had been exhausting and after the death of a young man she was ready to give it all up.  She was tired and hungry and as much as she hated admitting it, she could do with someone to cuddle in to.

"You're back late," he smiled kindly, before he took her coat and handed her a glass of wine,

"Go and sit at the table, I've made dinner..."

She leaned forward and kissed his cheek, surprised as he placed his hands either side of her arms, "tough day?"

She felt her eyes tear at his kindness and all she could do was nod. He pulled her into his strong arms and held her gently as she breathed steadily against his chest.

"Sorry," she told him, smiling at him as he rubbed his hands up and down her forearms.

"We can talk later," he nodded and she sat down, "what's for dinner?"

"Lamb curry," he smiled, "it's relatively mild, I'm not particularly good with spice,"

She laughed, "I'm the same,"

"The cameras are off now," he told her gently, "if you want to talk that is."

"I don't think I want to talk," she admitted, "but I could do with a hug,"

He took the blanket from the back of the sofa and laid it over his lap, before pulling it back,

"Come here," he smiled, watching as she did as he asked. She sat down beside him, tucking her legs up underneath her and leaning against him. One hand slipped behind his back, the other resting against his chest.

"I can hear your heartbeat," she told him quietly,

He ran his hand up and down her back, "I take it it's okay... You would know after all,"

"I'm not sure if even I could hear a murmur without a stethoscope," she smiled and he pressed his lips gently against her forehead,

"Are you working tomorrow night?"

"No... I have a charity ball to attend," she admitted, "between you and me, I hate going alone... There's far too many high powered men who want my job or think they can advise me about it whilst looking down my dress,"

"I could join you if you like," he offered, "make sure those boring men in suits leave you alone,"

"You don't have too," she yawned,

He shrugged, "it's not like I have anything else to do,"

"Do you have a suit?" She asked and he shook his head, "not here."

"We can go tomorrow, if you can bear to shop with me whilst I find a dress." An hour later she stood up, "I'll see you tomorrow," she smiled, "sleep well Jacob."

They both found that they lay wide awake that night, thinking of their new companion sleeping in the adjacent room. He wasn't sure what it was about her, but she intrigued him, and he didn't think that her husband appreciated her as he should. 

"I thought we were shopping," she smiled as the following morning rolled in, and he turned around,

"We are... But we need breakfast first,"

"I'll need to buy a bigger dress, there's a lot of food there,"

He rolled his eyes, handing her a coffee,

"Thank you for yesterday evening, you know cooking and your company... I best be careful, I can't get used to that,"