chapter one

Sighing, Ashton sat in his Advanced Placement English class, seemingly irritated. The course was boring that day, but that would be an understatement. Why? For starters, Luke Hemmings, the teacher, was absent.

Using his proper understanding and common sense, Ashton soon figured it was some sort of illness that took Luke from him. It was cold, and the weather had a habit for inducing a powerful influenza. Moreover, Ashton was sure to prepare a note that he could leave in the desk instead of on top of it.

Dear Teacher,
It's me again. I am that faceless, hormonal teenager. I realized I was quite harsh in that previous note. Don't you agree? Perhaps you can ignore all the bitching and focus on the compliments. Anyway, you aren't here today. It's quite depressing since my IQ is remarkably higher than this substitute teacher's. I would not be surprised if she could not define a single complex word. Unlike her, you know what you are talking about. You can prove your many points, defending your opinions. Your sophistication is quite an attractive trait. You also wear those ties and go over literature belonging to only the best of writers. With you gone, it makes me realize how much I actually don't hate the old, classical books you go on about. I miss you. Feel better, Teacher.