48 - True Resurrection

Soterios - POV;

"So I shoved her down on her knees and pushed it down her throat like- gak."

"Hah ha ha ha. That's a good one Frank. Frank? Glg!"

"You guys shouldn't have stood with your backs against each other," I said to the knights' corpses. Both of their throats were severed and blood spewed out of the wounds like a fountain.

I quietly crept further into the lock up, quietly taking out the guards stationed at the various points in the area. As I had waited for night to arrive before I infiltrated, there were fewer knights around than usual.

'Where could the control room be?' I thought to myself.

"Normally, such an important place would be more heavily guarded right?" Durnehviir asked.

"Of course! I do remember there being a large group of defenders on the west wing the last time we were here. Good thinking Durnehviir," I complimented him.

I moved again, now along the wall's edge until I came upon the western hallway and I continued down this path.

"Did you hear? Apparently the commander has been missing for three days," a royal knight was speaking to someone else hidden from my view by a stack of boxes.

"Bah! That's no surprise. They took some commoner and put him incharge just because his mother whored herself to a beast to have him," the second person commented.

I clenched my fist and gritted my teeth. His words reminded me of the ridicule and profiling we were subjected to by the people of Ironhaven and that ticked me off.

"Don't be rash Soterios," Durnehviir warned.

I exhaled deeply to calm my nerves.

"Of course," I assured. I used the crates and metal beams literred around the work-in-progress facility as cover to weave my way through and around the twenty or so people standing alert. At multiple occasions I barely escaped from being caught by their searching eyes but nevertheless I was able to sneak into the room sealed by a large metal door.

"I am so close to finishing my father's work. They all thought he was insane for trying to turn kids into beastly soldiers, but I will show them they were wrong. I will go down in history for being the greatest scientist in all of history," a man was at the control panel talking to himself. He didn't seem to notice my entrance. I slowly walked up behind him and covered his mouth while placing my knife against his neck.

I leaned forward and whispered in his ear, "Killing people like this has been a thrill for me recently. Unless you want to be added to my list of victims, I suggest you push the button that will release the draconics."

The man let out a muffled sound and shook his head in approval. He stretched out his hand and pushed a blue button.

A loud alarm blared out and emergency bells started to ring.

"Hah! You thought I would actually press the right thing?" the man said turning around. His mouth fell open and his face held only confusion. Immediately I recognised him. It was the scientist who had killed the mother and child before. I jammed my knife into his gullet. He choked and coughed up blood.

"Commander......you betray.....your homeland? *cough* You really are....just like them......a beast," he sputtered his last words before doubling over dead.

"What do we do now Soterios? Our cover is blown," Durnehviir inquired.

"We can't afford to retreat. They'll quadruple the lookouts after this. We just have to take them head-on. Stealth was never my strong suit anyway."