Chapter Two

(Ebony)

"Mum why won't you speak to me?" I asked as I watched my mum work in the kitchen. I watched as she continued to wash the dishes as if I hadn't even said a word. Nervously I grabbed a strand of my hair, twirling it around my finger before deciding to continue to urge her to speak.

"Mum," I started,"Did I do something wrong?"

Again, there was no answer. Just the same as last time. She didn't even glance over as she silently continued to wash the dishes. I felt my lip begin to quiver as I sniffled. I held my only friend, my stuffed pony close to me as I turned around. Slowly I began to walk to my room glancing back a few times in hopes that my mum decided to talk, to pay attention to me.

"Mum?" I tried one last time. To my surprise this time she stopped, turning her head to look at me. I smiled hopfully. Perhaps she was finally going to pay me some attention. "I love you."

Instead of responding my mum turned back around and continued with her chores. I stood heartbroken by the doorway. I couldn't hold in the loud sob that escaped my lips as I ran into my room. I slammed the door shut, flinging myself onto my bed.

"I hate you! I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!" I screamed into my pillow before hurling my stuffed pony into the wall. The stuffed animal fell to the ground with a soft thud.

For hours I cried, punching my pillow and running around the room tossing things around. I finally settled down, realizing the cruel reality. My mum never loved me, she never would. My dad never loved me, he never would. I was all alone in this world, a lonely six year old who wished so much to be loved.

Slowly I got up from my little bed, making my way over to my stuffed pony. I kneeled down, gently picking it up as if it would break at any moment. Stroking its tear stained artificial fur, I sat against the wall. Cradling it in my arms I took in deep calming breaths.

"You still love me, don't you Mr. Pims?" I asked my pony. I slumped against the wall, hugging the stuffed animal to my chest as if my life depended on it.

That was the day I knew- The day I realized that the only person I could depend on was me.

My eyes opened slowly as I came to my senses, coming from the past to the present. I let out a small groaned as I lifted my hand to touch my neck. Shivers ran through me as I ran my fingers across the healing wound on my neck.

The demon had done this. He'd bitten me. I threw my head back, closing my eyes again. He'd left me alive, he hadn't killed me.

"Why couldn't you have just let me die?" I asked, hoping that the demon was listening.  

"Thats not exactly the first thing that most of the sacrifices say," I raised my head quickly, pain rushing through my neck from moving it too quickly. Ignoring the pain, I stared at the man, the devil himself as he stood in the shadows. From here, I could make out his green eyes and rosy lips.

"Well I'm not like most sacrifices," I told him, surprising myself. Was I actually making conversation with this monster?

"So I've noticed," the devil replied,"where's the screaming? The desperation? The fear?"

"Kill me," I said confidently. If I was going to die either way I wasn't going to die pleading for him not to kill me. I had nothing to live for, no loving family, no boyfriend, no friends. I was ready to die.

"Oh trust me I will and I'll enjoy it," the demon crackled as he stepped out of the shadows,"in time."

He was just like I remembered. His cold green eyes staring at me with intense fire, his rosy lips parted slightly as he took in breath. His brown curls hanging over his forehead as he tilted his head to the side.

"In the mean time, what shall I do with you?" He whispered kneeling beside me. I  flinched as he ran his fingers against my neck, smirking.

"You know, your the first girl that they've sent in ages," he mused, his eyes meeting mine as his fingers paused over the healing wound on my neck, "I've always preferred girls, I get to have more-" He lowered his head next to mine. His lips brushed against my ear sending shivers through me, "fun."

"Oh I'm lots of fun," I said my voice shaking now. All the boldness, the confidence was now gone as he removed his hand from my neck and drew back. His presence alone was enough to make me feel cold inside as he smirked, cocking his head to the side.

"Whats your name?" He asked standing up. He paced back and forth his eyes never leaving me. Green, cold eyes staring into me.

"Ebony Pierce," I told him, trying to keep my voice as steady as possible. I couldn't let him see just how scared I really was,"And you? You must have a name besides the demon."

The demon laughed at that. His laugh was just as cold as his eyes, icy seemingly freezing me at the sound of it. Instead of answering me he was infront of me in a second as if he had materialized from the air.

"I'll see you soon, love. I've got a lot instore for you." He whispered, smiling menecingly at me. In a second he vanished into thin air. I blinked, panic finally kicking in. I got up to my feet, leaning against the wall for support as I let the blood flow back into my legs.

After a few minutes I was able to walk steadily. Knowing there was no point in escaping I looked out the window of the wooden cabin I was in. Dark trees blocked the skyline and eerie silence hung in the air.

Thinking back to what the demon had said, I shivered.

"I'll see you soon, love. I've got a lot instore for you."

Had the demon kept anyone else around for this long? Was he keeping me alive because I was a girl? Or was it because I seemed like I wanted to die and he wanted to torture me, keep me locked in here like a caged animal.

Or was this part of his wicked ways? Always keeping the victum alive untill they went insane? Keeping someone alive long enough for that to happen was the cruelest way of punishment.

It's just a game for him, it, whatever is hiding beneath that human face of his, I thought bitterly.

Well then, Game on.