Walang Malisya

Lex

Whatever happened in that jeepney, I brushed it aside and treated it as a once in a lifetime nightmare. As soon as I entered the campus, I was greeted by large banners, organization booths, a long queue of unenrolled students na umaasa sa late registration. Some of them were even my batchmates na wala namang valid reason kung tutuusin sa paglelate register. Meron ding nakapaskil na different bondpapers and colored papers instructing first year students to proceed immediately to the auditorium for their orientation.

I immediately headed to the college secretary's office to get my finalized schedule. Usually, binibigay na yan right after ma enroll but for some reasons, we were advised that there might be revisions so mas maganda pag sa first day of class na kukunin ang schedule.

WHAT THE HELL?!

That was my first reaction upon seeing my schedule. Well, sino ba naman ang hindi maiinis? I have a night class that lasts until 8:30 pm every Tuesday and Friday! To make the matter worse, every Monday and Thursday, my class starts at 7 in the morning! The only good thing sa stupid schedule na ito ay Wednesdays. I have one subject every Wednesday and that's from 11am to 1pm. I let out a sigh and proceeded to sit to the nearest bench. After sulking for about five minutes on my messed up schedule, I decided to call my mom.

"Yes, anak? May problema ba?" I always love hearing my mom's voice—very soothing and calm. I can also hear a faint sound of blender and television on the other line. Hilig ni mama ang magluto so hindi na ako magtataka kung nagluluto ito ngayon.

"A liitle bit, mom." A hint of tiredness and stress in my voice. "I have a 7am class and a night class that ends at 8:30 in the evening," I continued. "Don't you think it'd be better if I just find an apartment or a room to stay in throughout the semester? I don't think I'll last for a month na gumigising ng maaga at umuuwi ng gabi."

"Oh, okay. If yan ang makabubuti." I heard my mom replied with a little sadness on her voice.

"I'm just worried about Nana. Nobody will be there to watch her."

"Don't worry, ako ng bahala. For the moment, maghanap ka nalang muna ng conducive place to stay, and we'll discuss it over mamayang gabi? Okay? I love you, anak."

"Alright, mom. Love you too." And I heard the connection ending.

********

Habang naglalakad ako along the street na may maraming bording house, my eyes rested on a huge beige building. I went in and inquired on the receptionist if meron silang bakante. I was a bit disappointed when she said that their rooms are already fully occupied.

"Pero sir, meron kaming isang room na naghahanap ng roommate."

I stopped to think for a while. Hindi naman siguro ganun ka pangit pag may roommate ka. I mean, it's okay for me to share a room with someone. As long as he's clean and he minds his own business, then fine.

"Pwede ko po bang makita muna ang unit? Just want to make sure before accepting any deals." I smilingly requested.

"Sure po. Nasa 5th floor, room 507. Samahan ko na kayo sir." She replied with a wide smile.

When the room opened, I was impressed kasi ang linis ng room and very spacious. It's actually good for 2 persons pero mas lalong lumapad kasi isa lang ang kama na nakalagay. The sheets are white, the curtains are off-white, there's a medium-sized painting of a grassy hill hanging on the wall just above the television. I was instantly mesmerized by the looks of the room so hindi na ako nagdalawang-isip.

"Okay po, I'll accept it. Pa'no po ang mode of payment?"

"Pagbaba niyo po sir, bibigyan ko kayo ng instruction. Ihahanda ko lang yung mga pipirmahan ninyo. Kung gusto niyo pong maiwan muna dito at magmasid-masid pa, okay lang. Daanan niyo nalang ako sa desk ko before kayo umalis. Sige po." And with that, I was left in the room.

I decided to transfer my view on the 5-foot bookshelf beside the bed. Mukhang matalino ang naninirahan dito kasi halos mapuno na ng Engineering books ang shelves. Sa taas, merong nakapatong na trophies and medals. Beside the bookshelf is a normal-sized study table na may nakapatong na lampshade, pencil holder, and sticky notes.

I was about to look into the CR when the door suddenly opened. Hindi muna ako nakaharap kasi akala ko may nakalimutan lang ang receptionist. That's when a deep and manly voice, almost shouting, asked me what I was doing in the room. So, with all composure and a bright face, I faced him and said, "Oh, I'm sorry to startle you. Hello, I'm Lexter and I'll be your new roommate." To show a bit of respect, I reached out my right hand for a friendly handshake, still smiling.

He didn't reach for my hand. Instead, he studied me first—head to toe—and showed me a shocked face.

"D-Diba ikaw yung nasa jeep?" I heard him saying, the toughness on his face slowly fading.

That's when it hit me. Everything suddenly flashed back and I'm sure my face became slight red. "So it was you." The only words that came out of my mouth. What else would I say? I didn't even get to collect my thoughts while boarding that jeepney, ngayon pa kaya? Besides, I decided to brush that incident aside...for good...I hope, so that any awkwardness between us right now would dissipate. I heard him clear his throat.

"Well, that was only a joke. Don't think of anything dirty or green with what happened earlier. Ganun lang talaga ako kapag naisipan kong mang-inis." I heard him chuckled a bit. "I don't choose my victims."

"Don't worry about that. That was nothing. You can forget it already." I defensively said, still maintaining that little smile.

"Yeah, right." I swear I saw a bit of excitement burned out of his eyes. "So, paano ba yan? Ah, I only have one bed. Would you be okay with sharing a bed with me?" He casually asked.

I was taken aback with that question. Una, hindi ko inisip na magshe-share kami ng bed. I was actually planning to buy one for myself. But hey! Sharing may not be a bad idea. Why not give it a try? "Uh, if okay lang sa'yo then fine. Wala namang malisya pareho naman tayong lalaki."

I instantly saw his eyes sparkled a little. "Oo naman. Sus, kahit maghubad ka pa diyan walang papansin sa'yo." He then flashed a huge grin on his face.

I laughed with his joke and bade him goodbye. "Babalik nalang ako bukas to bring some of my things. Hindi pa naman ako matutulog bukas, siguro either sa Thursday or Friday pa. Bye. It was nice meeting you and becoming your roommate. By the way, what's your name again?"

"Sure. The name's Stephen. And Lexter..." he paused for a while before smirking "...we're bedmates." After saying that, he again gave me that mischievous wink then burst into laughter. Damn! I can't think of how this semester will turnout for me. But there's this small light that rekindled inside of me. I hope I can be happy again.