Chapter 5: The Potions Master

Harry, Ron and Hermione headed to the dungeons. Even in plain daylight, the corridors that led to the Potions classroom were dark, lighted only by green torches that reflected their emerald light on the stone walls. He always had the impression he was going to a different world every time he walked through those paths. He knew the Slytherin Common Room was around there, too. He believed Slytherins were enigmatic, reserved and cold, like the place where their home was hidden. There was something beautiful in the darksome heart of the castle, something mysterious and profound, like the heart of Draco Malfoy.

He hadn't talked to him since the funeral, not because he didn't want to, but because he didn't know how. He didn't want him to believe he was being nice to him because his mother had passed away, because he knew he would. He knew Malfoy too well. He also wanted to give the lad some space for himself; he needed time to settle his feelings. Two weeks had elapsed since then and he still wasn't sure how to approach him. After his attempt of trying to be with him at funeral, he had thought being so direct was not going to work with Draco. He was too proud to accept Harry's invitations of friendship and sympathy. And even though he didn't like to think of it, it was also possible that Draco wouldn't want to have any kind of relation with him at all. He sighed at the thought; he knew his feelings for him were not going to take him too far, but if he didn't even try to be close to him now that he could, he knew he was going to regret it for the rest of his life, and Harry was not the kind of person that would allow himself to have regrets. He just needed to find the excuse to get closer to him, in the right moment.

When they entered the Potions dungeon, Harry felt a soft, painful tickling in his scar. He had had a bad dream the night before, and though the disgusting feelings of excitement and fear had faded, he still had a strong headache he had not been able to take away. He had tried several spells, but they didn't work. He had the feeling it had to do with his scar, which was beginning to disturb him a little more by every step he took into the dungeon.

Malfoy was already there, sitting in the same table as Pansy Parkinson. The girl had been a little more around him since the funeral.

Harry and his friends sat down on a table in the other side of the room and didn't have to wait too long before Professor Monaghan appeared.

"Hello, fellow students! How are you doing today?"

Edmund Monaghan was short, bald and he wore small oval glasses that framed his tiny blue eyes; a dark hairy mustache hanged from his rounded nose. He was patient and tolerant with his students, but exigent with potions. He had been giving Potions class almost since the beginning of the year. Snape had been sent by Dumbledore to attend "private matters" and had not come back yet. It was heard he was probably returning before the Christmas holidays. It seemed that Harry would have to wait to consider any Occlumency lessons and thus, he pretended he was not having his nightmares in order not to scandalize his friends.

Professor Monaghan waited until the room was filled with his students before starting the class.

"Well, well. Today we will learn about bond-breaking potions. Their name is pretty clear, I believe, yes? They break bonds. What kind of bonds, though? Any ideas?"

A few students raised their hands; Hermione had stopped participating in this class since some time ago; Snape never let her answer.

"Zabini, please," Professor Monaghan pointed him with his wand.

"Magical bonds, like the ones used between a wizard and his house-elves," the Slytherin replied silently.

"Yes, indeed, a bond-breaking potion could definitely undo the link and free the house-elves from service to their masters; ten points to Slytherin," he said with excitement and students jumped a little in their sits with the unexpected energy of his voice, "So there are potions that can create bonds and others which can break them. Take love potions, for instance, yes? They create a fake bond of love between the two people involved; some love potions have counter-potions, if you will, and others, well, aren't that lucky," Professor Monaghan chuckled noisily in the silence of the dungeon.