Saturday

Saturday

Saturday appears out of nowhere, leaving me with a bitter taste in my mouth. Tonight might be the end of us both. Mum and Dad are sure to bury Theo outside for abandoning the sacred house rule of no party and if Leighton rejects me, I might as well save myself the trouble and jump in Theo's grave.

I spin back and forth, my eyes scanning each inch of my body in the mirror. Does this outfit look perfect? I need to convince Leighton this isn't a bad idea, even though it probably is. First times are awkward enough, I just want it to be over so that I can move to the good stuff. I've already decided I'm not the rose petal kind of girl, I don't need that crap getting in the way of things.

After many wardrobe changes, I've settled on a loose-fitting grey shirt with a v-neckline, along with a pair of black shorts. I'd considered wearing a dress, but the shorts accentuated my butt and since I'm not a boob girl, I need something to work in my favour.

I keep my makeup simple and soft – only adding a touch of red lip gloss and thick eyelashes. My smoky eye look didn't work out, so I went for a glittery white shadow to help the black eyeliner stand out.

When I'm finished getting ready, I head downstairs and find Theo and Leighton mucking around in the kitchen.

They've set a couple of plastic bowls on the table with chips and dips inside of them. One of the larger bowls has punch with weirdly chopped fruit floating in it. Kind of looks like someone has ninja chopped the fruit – or massacred it.

I grab one of the red cups from the table and begin filling it with the punch. I'm sure to bypass the fruit.

"Be careful, it's really strong," warns Theo.

"I'm sure I'll be fine." I smile. "Unless you put pills in here?"

"Would you like some?" teases Leighton.

Ignoring his comment, I walk out of the kitchen and into the lounge room. I take the single seat facing the kitchen / outdoor area so that it gives me the chance to see everything. Leighton and Theo continue to set up the house. They mark off the stairway and put away any breakables.

Instead of helping, I lounge on the couch sipping my drink. I have to admit, they've made it so strong, just holding the cup has given me a buzz.

Soon enough, the doorbell rings and Theo runs through the house to answer. From then on, a steady stream of people, none I know, walk straight through. They either go into the kitchen for a drink or filter outside.

My gaze catches the likes of Leighton. As per usual, he rests his back against the pool gate and pulls the packet of cigarettes from his pocket. He places one in his mouth and then cups the end of the cigarette to light it.