Chapter 2: Mary

Ch2

By the time their therapy session was over, Mary had Loki in a state of complete shock. Never had she or anyone else ever spoken to him in such a harshly positive way. It was always, "Yes, sir." It was always, "You're a god. Why would I ever contradict your word?" It was always, "You are a prince of Asgard. You will act more acceptably than this!" Well, some were said more than others.

But this was unprecedented! A mortal telling him how to better present himself in front of people! Mary had always understood him. Why did she act this way now? It was probably The Council.  Someone had to have made her... By the time Loki could get his bearings, Mary was already halfway down the hall, heading to her next session, but he could still call after her and ask.

"Mary, would you tell me something?"

"That depends." She said, making a bout-face and jogging back toward him.

"Why try to change me all of a sudden? Why, after all this time I've known you, do you choose now to interfere with my life story instead of just listening to it?"

She was quiet for a moment, considering the question with her finger perched on her lower lip. Her eyes were downcast, and her brows pinched as she thought, and then finally, the words came. "Loki, I didn't ask for this job. I was chosen. There was never a phase in my life when the world of Disney wasn't looming over my head. My life has been paved out for me. I don't have any choices to make that haven't already been made. I am a product of a world that my adoptive parents told me was fake and not to be trusted to tell the truth about life. You, of all people, can relate to that, which, I guess, might be why you're able to open up to me so well, while you close yourself off to other people. You'll live to be thousands of years old while I know I will not, which, by the way, isn't why I've been prying so much lately. It's just that I know you're capable of much more than you let on, but it seems like you don't realize this, and I think that if you gained some of the confidence that's been stripped from you throughout the years and talked to other people, you might be able to find that you can relate to others the way you seem to be able to relate to me. I'm not trying to get you to change. I'm just trying to make you see what you already have."

There they were again. The words that made him stop in his tracks. If anyone else had said them, he would've spoken back to her in the true manor of a trickster, but there he was, mouth agape.

Mary turned, leaving Loki in his cell. He wanted to call to her again and see what it really was that she meant by this, but instead, he just spun on his heel to face his bed and headed straight for it to think and reflect on their talk.

It was like this with everyone. For Mary, life was a cartoon. She could stop wars with speeches, and just a certain look from those chocolate-brown eyes could kill someone, make them fall in love, or do anything else in between. It wasn't always like this, though. She used to be just a little girl with a few nightmares every now and then. But then, they became real. Randall was an actual reptilian monster that would creep into her room every night. The villain of her little world actually haunted her, not just in her imagination, but in reality. Luckily, Sully (or Kitty, as she liked to call him) was there to save the day.

Then, there was that whole episode where she got all those toys from Andy and they all came to life when she wasn't looking, but she didn't find out about that one until she finally came here.

But her whole childhood life, she was told that fairy-tale endings weren't real and that everything she ever saw in a Disney movie couldn't possibly happen. She still had the imagination of a child who believed, and she still played as if she could never not believe that a girl just had to fall asleep for a while and awake to a kiss by a random stranger to find her one true love, but eventually that had to stop. She had to grow up and she had to find a true love the hard way if she even wanted one, and she had to give her toys to another little girl with the same values.

Even with all this, she couldn't escape her impending fate. She was always meant to find those Whisps. One trip to Scotland with her family, that's all I took.

They were on the ancient island Milleadh when their tour group unexpectedly stumbled on a circle of stone pillars, plopped down in the middle of the forest. There were some beautiful, blue little sprite spirits that only she seemed to see. She was compelled to follow them, until their trail finally stopped in front of a hill with a peculiar door stuck in the front of it. Well, of course she had to go inside if she'd already come that far. With a sharp intake of breath and a surge of bravery, she shoved the door open, only to find herself in the center of a dark, dank, echo-filled room. As if the situation couldn't get any worse, her ever-faithful luck with doors kicked in and her only way out slammed shut and disappeared behind her, taking her life, her family, and everything she'd ever known with it. But it wasn't as if this wasn't meant to happen anyway. Disney always has a trick up its sleeve.

Within minutes, a light was produced, seizing her constant cries for help, and Warden Jessie introduced herself. One of Mary's favorite toys as a child stood in front of her and explained to her that everything that ever happened to her wasn't real and didn't matter. Her parents adopted and raised her from three months old to have good morals and a bright attitude in the hardest times. Mary was and always will be a product of a cartoon world, and she didn't learn it until two years ago.

Everything she'd lived up until that point was a mistake. She was just a code, never meant to make it out into another world. The way her life went, she should've turned out a villain, but her values saved her. Everyone saw this in her, so of course, she would be used to make the villains better. They might even change their ways in time. Some might say she was just a pawn. Others would say she was a miracle that was never meant to happen. She would say she's just a girl that wants to help.

Whatever she might be, she was stuck here, and nothing could bring her back home...wherever that was now. Maybe if she could find those blue spirits, the Whisps, she could find her way there, but she hadn't seen them since that fateful day, and she didn't think she would ever see them again.

For now, Mary was just going to have to stick with the many complaints of the prisoners at DVW, and on occasion, take a break to see her early childhood friends. There was nothing she could do about it. There was nothing anyone else could do about it... Or, at least, that's what she assumed... Who knows?