Chapter thirty six-going back and going forth part 2

This, I hate to say, it my last full chapter for this story. I know that very few people have read this story, but to those who have, I'd like to say thank you. It means a lot. For this chapter's song, I have chosen yet another from my favorite artist, Judy Garland. Smile. And I have to say, it fits the chapter perfectly. Be sure to expect the epilogue in a few days, but aside from that, it had been a pleasure to give you this story.

It took a lot of convincing on my part for Angelo to let me go to Poland. Who was going to look after Jacob? How could he manage without me? After weeks of talking about it, arguing about it, it was decided that the two of us would go together after all. We spoke with mama, and she's agreed to have Jacob for the three days we'd be away. It was the first time we were going anywhere without Jacob, and I felt especially awful when we had to say goodbye! Thank goodness for mama stepping in, promising him his favourite, carrot cake for dessert if he'd let go of my leg and kiss goodbye like a big boy. Angelo, of course, swung him around in his arms, and promised to bring him back something special from Poland-as if the little devil didn't get spoiled enough already! A bit hypocritical coming from the mother who was already planning to visit every toy store we could reach.

The train ride was an overnight journey; one that was cramped, yet surprisingly comfortable. Even sleeping in a narrow train-bunk, curled up with my husband was quite nice-though sleeping with him was always peaceful. In the morning they brought us some buttered croissants and coffee, then as we crossed the border between Germany and Poland, Angelo and I took in the sights we never got to see, crammed in a cattle container the first time we came here. It's right there and then we really saw how beauty these countries really were. Not just the buildings, but the history behind it all, the artist who used everything around them to create works of art. Germany might've spawned something evil, but all the good it has given as well was overwhelming.

After we stepped off the train in a smoky, picturesque station in the middle of Krakow, we were met by my dear cousin, and my best friend. Both with their twin girls, Sakura and Lilli. Sandrine and I came to each other in a tight, tearful embrace, kissing one another on the cheek with wide, crazed smiles. It was remarkable to see how Sandrine had changed after the war; her blue-black hair was grown out, almost down to her ribs, curled severely tight to frame her creamy, coffee complexion. With the proper amount of weight on her, Sandrine was tall, slim and exotically beautiful. As were her two, darling girls, who obviously took after their father in bashfulness.

"Thank you again for letting us stay while we're here." I said, as we loaded our two trunks into the back of their car. "Mieka and Emil sent us something, but with most of the good places fully booked-"

"Say nothing more." Andre said, "We hardly ever see you two! Do you really think we would've let you stay in a hotel whilst you're in the same city as us?"

"No, you would've forced us into your cottage and held us at gunpoint like your lovely  father in-law." 

"Ah, he didn't mean anything by it!" Sandrine waved it off, "It was a plastic pistol, remember?"

"It looked real!" Angelo reasoned, while the rest of us choked on our own laughter. "I'm sorry Sandrine, but he's bloody scary."

"Language!" I gasped playfully, giving up a smack on the wrist. "Can you say who our mystery dinner-guest is yet?"

"I'm afraid you'll just have to wait and see." Andre drawled the last word. "Now do you two want to stop anywhere before we go back to the house?"

"Is that a trick question?" Angelo chuckled, "We've sworn to Jacob that we'd bring him back something special, since it's his first, three nights without his parents."