prologue

London. 15:00.

monochromatic.

deep-set sun slipping through the gathered clouds. afternoon. shining with an intent and purpose. an intense glow shone profoundly onto the thames, the river's path winding through the great city. one side, was vivid; beaming. the other side had been thrust into a dismal gloom, overshadowed by the more ominous-looking clouds to the left.

monochromatic.

nelson's column. standing, tall and proud.

he stood, too, dead in the centre, of trafalgar square. an eerie cold seeped through to his skin, his white shirt fluttering open, the top unbuttoned. a chill ran down his spine. reached back, and pulled on his black overcoat.

climbed the steps. looked behind him.

he could have sworn--

the click of a camera. shutting down. taking pictures.

felt it in his head. the transmitting of fuses and nerves; clicking, too. too much.

looked behind him again.

he crossed the road. trees bordered the pavement. felt it again. someone following him.

shook it off.

all in your head.

static energy. electricity sparking: power transmission. movement of electrical energy from a generation site to an electrical substation. him.

breathed. he felt his bones liquefying, moving, forming something else. he saw, in front of him, a different scene; the underground, black and white, posters on the wall. empty platform, the train rushing to the left side of him. time lapse. people rushing and electricity lines fizzling.

flashed back.

climbed the steps.

switch.

the train station. people, again. the loudspeaker announced the next incoming train.

camera shot, again. clicking. he ran down the escalators, steps light and hurried.

switch.

outside.

switch.

someone following him.

almost tripped over the stairs.

switch.

the colours flooded back to his vision. control. don't let it. he took his jacket off. the london eye looked distant but close, bleak sky outlining each metal element. material against atmosphere. grey and gloomy. typical england.

kai looked behind him. could definitely feel it now; that other-worldly presence, watching him. observing every intricate movement. watching over him. didn't ask for this.

his phone went off in his trouser pocket. vibrating.

flashback.

entrance into the maze: no way out. charcoal eyes searching for a reason. light at the end of the tunnel, shining brilliantly over the runways. transmission: moved fast, speed, lightning.

kyungsoo's curious and stern expression, as he reached forward for the incoming object. the black cube. kai wanted to question, but couldn't formulate the words to speak. darkness encountered in each corner. where are we?  no-one knew the answer.

back to reality.

focus in on his diamond-shaped eyes.

feet felt light and airy. like he could fall straight from the balcony that he was standing on. like anything was possible. clouds gathered. like; he could soar into oblivion right now. the sky opened up to him, offering him his reason. his answer. felt it coming.

fibres fusing together. mind over matter. his heart was pounding in his chest, sending signals to the rest of his body. nerves transfused electricity.

then, he was gone. vanished into thin air.

the balcony was empty.

the sky said nothing.

//

attempting a go at this...sequel to radiance :) 

from Em X