Ch.17 -An Old Friend

~Eragon

The sound of thousands of breaking blades of grass and branches was easily heard. I didn't know what it was. I knew that Brisingr was back at the castle. Of course it was right where I had always left it, on top of the dresser. Magic was the only option, if it came to that.

"Iara." I said calmly. "Get behind Grimm."

"But what is it?"

"Iara please. Now." I said sternly. I had never used a stern or angry voice with her before. She complied. I knew I would have to apologize later. I heard Grimm shift his weight. I assumed he was sheltering Iara.

Saphira?

Wait.

What?

I smell.....we're fine.

What is it?

Who, you mean. Why it's-

All of a sudden a few trees fell down. A dragon could push them over quite easily. I heard a voice. Someone cursing. Quite loudly, but in a hushed tone. Then a patch of sparkling.....red, came into view.

"Iara, get on Grimm. Stay behind us." I heard shuffling behind me as I climbed onto Saphira. Saphira automatically angled herself, so that Grimm was partially hidden from view. It had been many long years since I had seen Murtagh. Who knows how much he had changed. I glanced back at Iara. She was leaning on the saddle to try and see whatever was in front of us.

Saphira began to slowly tread forward. Hesitantly Grimm followed. The red shape, Thorn, I assumed, if not another rider I had yet to meet, grew larger. Then I saw him. It was Murtagh. His voice had died as we stared at each other. It seemed neither of us knew what to do.

He had changed. But only a little. His hard demeanor had softened a bit. And he had a new scar, a seemingly small nick on the side of his jaw. His hair was the same dark brown-black color, not a hint of gray like any normal human would undoubtedly have. His eyes flicked slightly as he looked me over. And they lingered behind me. Gazing at Iara. Not gazing, staring. She seemed to give him an almost haunted look. Like he had seen her before. Had he? She would never tell me, if she could even remember. That was if she had ever met him.

"Eragon. It's been a while."

"It has. How have you two been?"

"Well. You?"

"Same."

"Who's....?" He trailed off. Undoubtedly meaning Iara. Saphira sort of stepped out of the way.

Iara, it's okay, this is a friend. Go ahead and introduce yourself and Grimm. She merely acknowledged what I said.

"I'm Iara. This is Grimm." She said. She seemed very quiet, and almost nervous. Nothing like her normal self. Murtagh nodded.

"I'm Murtagh. This is Thorn." Saphira stepped back in front of Grimm.

"Murtagh, why are you here?"

"Oh, so there's something wrong with a visit?"

"No."

"Bah. Not a visit."

"I thought so. Doesn't seem like you. Then...why are you here?"

"Because Arya can't come." At the mention of Arya, my stomach twisted. Arya can't come...was something wrong? Had something happened?

"What do you mean?"

"When was the last time you talked to her?" The last time we scryed....two months ago...now that I though about it, how had she missed scrying?

"Two months ago."

"Then you're in for a surprise."

"Why? What?"

I'm not going to explain the rest in front of her. The sudden presence of his mind startled me. His mind was different. There wasn't as much anger present. Only...caution.

What is it then?

There's more of us.

What? Really? How do you know?

Straight from her, she found me and convinced us to come here. Six more riders. All at the same time. They were traveling in a group.

How did they find each other?

That's the weird part...They're siblings. It would be as is a dragon were to hatch for your cousin, and his wife, and their kids. Now the mention of Ismira and her brother, as well as Roran and Katrina. It made me feel the tiniest bit homesick.

Well if that's it then why are you here? Couldn't you or Arya just scry?

I'm here because Arya is waiting for you two in Teirm. With all of the other riders.

Why are they waiting for us?

Because all of the other riders have either black or dark brown hair. There's a pair of twin girls. Triplet boys. And another pair of twins, a boy and a girl.

But that's seven, you said six.

That's because the other twin and dragon are standing right behind you.