VI

Auroro raised his head up to look at the towering fortress that the sisters called a palace, he found it to be frightening.

The stone walls were a unpleasant grey color and sharp metal was plastered along them. Tall, sturdy guards were stationed all around, dressed in all black with grey accents, holding large weapons in their hand and a backdrop of a smokey haze set the scene for the castle. The smell of burning wood hung in the air like fog.

The entrance was blocked by a tall, spiky metal gate that wrapped around as far as Auroro could see.

The sisters, who were slightly behind Auroro, let out consecutive gasps when they saw it.

"What has she done?" Flora asked no one in particular on a whisper.

In Auroro's mind it was the exact type of place someone like his mother would live.

He started toward the gated entrance and when he reach the opening he was stopped by a pair of crossed spears blocking the way.

"State your business." a gruff voice said from under one of the heavy helmets the guards wore.

"I'm here to visit my mother, the Queen." he did his best to sound strong but the sight of the palace and guards this close struck fear in his heart.

"The Queen has but one child, he is not to return until tomorrow."

"I am that child. I have returned early."

The guard that had spoken looked to the one holding the other spear who nodded at him. The spears were immediately turned on him and Auroro's heart dropped.

"Come with us." the one that had yet to speak barked at him. "You ladies follow as well." Auroro knew he was referring to the sisters, yet he was to fearful to turn and confirm this.

He took slow steps and the gate opened up with a piercing shriek, Auroro proceeded with one spear pointed at his back and another at his side. He heard another screeching sound and jerked his head upwards toward it in time to see the drawbridge being lowered over the moat. His heart rate was steadily picking up and he could feel sweat forming on his brow, his fear growing at a rapid rate.

He dared a glance behind him to see if the sisters favored any better. They were all darting their heads around, their expressions a mix of shock and fear. He guessed it has changed a lot in the eighteen years they have been gone.

They crossed the drawbridge, every step they took eliciting a moan or creak from the wood.

Once they were in the palace he looked up at the high arched ceilings, rich furniture and exquisite paintings. The interior was much more beautiful than the outside.

"No lollygagging, this way." One of the guards made a motion to poke him with one of the spears, prompting Auroro to move quickly.

He was brought to a small room with a long table that didn't seem to quite fit, the edge nearly touched the walls on both sides.

"Take a seat." the command was direct and rough sounding and Auroro complied immediately, dropping down in the seat closest to him.

"I will get the Queen," the gruff sounding one said and exited the room. The other guard remained silent until the Queen returned.

...yes my liege, we escorted him here personally and held ourselves at arms."

"Good." a female voice said, it seemed familiar to Auroro but so different at the same time. It sounded deranged and erratic, like a deer that had found it's way into the mushroom patch.

"Son?"

He looked up at the woman that had spoken. Her blond hair was mussed, her dark eyes were unfocused and she looked as if she was twitching. Her voice felt nostalgic with a touch of something dark, something mad.

"Mother?" Auroro asked, rising from his seat when he saw the woman that supposedly gave birth to him for the first time.

"Y-you're here. Why are you here?" She asked, her voice laden with agitation.

"I-I wanted to see you mom." He reached out to try to hug her, temporarily forgetting all the things that she's done, just wanting to be close to his mother for the first time.

He felt a pang in his heart when he was roughly shoved into the table.

"You!" The Queen zeroed in on Thistle who was seated farther down the table, "I gave you one job. Bring him back the day after his 18th birthday, not one day sooner."

Thistle looked fearful of the Queen that was quickly descending down the table towards her, "My-my Queen, I did not think one day would cause that much of a difference."

"You insolent fool!" The Queen yelled and the paintings on the walls seemed to rattle. "Do you know what you've done!"

"I-I-I-" Thistle tried to speak but when the Queen reached her she wrapped her slender hands around Thistle's neck.

"You have damned my son!" Auroro watched in shock and fear as his mother's hand clamped tighter on Thistle's thin neck. Her face was beginning to turn blue from lack of oxygen, her hands were scratching at the Queen's and short gasps were leaving her light blue lips.

When Thistle began to sag in the Queen's hand Auroro knew he had to do something.

"Mother stop!" He yelled but the Queen acted as if she didn't hear him. "Mother!" he walked to where she stood and tried to retch her arms off of Thistle. Her arms remained stiff on Thistle who had stopped moving. Taking a step back he rammed her from the side in an attempt to knock her off Thistle, she fell to the side but her grip hadn't lessened.

The fire in her eyes, however, grew brighter. The anger was now directed at Auroro.

"Guards! Take him to his room, lock the door, and throw away the key! I don't want to so much as breath the same air as him until the sun sets."

The guards immediately went to Auroro and grabbed his arms roughly, on reflex he started to kick and scream against them.

"How can you do this mother? Mom?!" he called out for her but she simply stood over Thistle's still unmoving body, watching him with a satisfied smile.

He called out for the only one he knew he could trust, "Maleficent!"

His only answer was the call of a crow.