Chapter 7: Leftover Pranksters

November 3rd, 3:12 p.m.

The metallic slam of lockers filled the school halls. It was the end of the day. Students were rushing to get out of the dreaded building that had kept them captive for the last few hours.

I put in the combination to my own locker and started exchanging my books. I pushed my Spanish and History textbooks into my book bag and threw my locker door shut.

"Karina!" Hannah came running down the hallway in my direction. She slid to a stop in front of me. "Guess what!" She was bursting with excitement.

"What?" I indulged her with a laugh.

She rushed to get it out, "Charlie wants to have a study date!!" A few people sent glares our way at her very loud enthusiastic reply.

I sent them an apologetic smile before I said, "Maybe you shouldn't have a date with a guy you just met." She wasn't listening.

Instead, she was already planning what she was going to wear. Her phone dinged with an incoming text. "He wants to have it at my house..." Her eyebrows scrunched up, "But my parents just got home, and they will definitely not want a boy in their house right now." Hannah turned her puppy dog eyes on me, "Can we please have our study date at your house?" Her pouty lips even made a show. "I know your mom and dad aren't home... Please Karina?"

It was true. Mom always went out with her friends on Mondays while Dad was at work. I sighed, knowing that I was about to give in, "Okay, fine. You can come to my house."

Hannah jumped up and down while clapping her hands together, "Thank you thank you thank you!" She wrapped her arms around me in a huge hug. "This is going to be AMAZING!"

***

November 3rd, 5:45 p.m.

Knocking at my door signaled that Hannah and Charlie were here. I took one last glance at my reflection before going to the door. Show time.

I pulled the front door open. "Hey Hannah.. and Charlie." I greeted with a smile I hoped didn't seem too fake. I was not ready for this. It was going to be awkward. Opening the door wider, I invited them inside, "Come on in."

Hannah stepped through and then Charlie. After closing the door behind them, I lead them into the dinning room where I already had my books set out to study. "Do you guys need anything?" I asked politely, "Like something to drink or a snack?"

Hannah perked up, "Do you still have some of that amazing pumpkin drink that your dad makes?"

I nodded while pulling the large glass container out of the fridge. I grabbed three clean cups from the dishwasher and poured the pumpkin drink into the glasses. Leaving the third glass, my drink, on the counter, I carried the other two over to my guests. Hannah instantly accepted the cup from me and took a large gulp. She closed her eyes with a contented sigh, "This stuff is why I love Autumn."

A smile curved my lips. It was one of the reasons I loved the season too. I retrieved my cup before taking my seat at the table again.

Charlie took a small precautionary sip out of his glass. Everyone always did that the first time they tried the strange brown liquid that smelled strongly of pumpkin and cinnamon. "Hmm..." his blue gray eyes met mine, "This is very good, thank you."

"You're welcome," I said quietly in return.  My dad had actually done all of the work. The only thing I had done was get the drink for them. I slid my history textbook in front of me. It was all I had left to do since I had finished my Spanish and Math homework while waiting for Hannah and Charlie.

I was lost in the history of the Roman Empire when another knock on the door drew me out of my studies. My eyes connected with Charlie and Hannah. Nobody else was supposed to be here. Hannah spoke first, "Did you invite anyone special?" She added a wink to the word special.

The answer was no. I did not invite anyone besides them. But instead of telling her this, I rose from the table. "I'll go see who it is," I said hurriedly before all but bolting for the front door.

No one was on the other side of the door when I looked through the window. Curiosity got the better of me and I pulled open the door to find a small crisp white envelope laying on the welcome mat. A strange looking symbol sat within the unbroken wax seal on the back of the envelope. No addresses were written on the front. It was strangely blank of any and all identification.

I let the front door swing closed behind me once I was back inside with the mysterious letter in hand. I decided it probably wouldn't be the best idea to share this letter, which I couldn't help but feel was related to Halloween night's events, with Hannah while an almost stranger was present. If my suspicions were correct, I would call Hannah and Allison later with the details. I slid the envelope into my sweater, thinking it would be better to keep it on my person.

"Who was it?" Hannah asked curiously.

"No one," I brushed it off, "Just some left over Halloween pranksters." I lowered myself back into my seat and my Roman history homework.

Hannah shrugged it off just like I hoped she would. Charlie, on the other hand, continued to stare at me. He raised a questioning eyebrow when I met his gaze. He didn't say anything though he continued to watch me.

Hannah unintentionally saved me. "What's it like where you're from, Charlie?" she asked him.

He turned his attention to her, thankfully forgetting about me. "I'm from a small village in Suffolk, England. It's along the southeastern coast of the country. It really is a beautiful place..." He launched into some story about growing up in Suffolk as I finished up my history homework.

************

A/N

Lol Jensen's face gets me every time XD I'm trying to write this author's note while giggling my booty off at it

Lol Jensen's face gets me every time XD I'm trying to write this author's note while giggling my booty off at it... :)

I swear it gets funnier the longer you stare at it.

Have a good day/evening ^-^

Character Song: Control by Halsey (Charlie's Song)

Byeo!

~Alexis :3