Pain Will Last Forever #2

Everyone gasps at the loud bang!of the trigger.

   I cover both my hands on my mouth, eyes widening.

   I shoot my glance to Maxienne. Her hands are also covered over her mouth.

   "What the hell?" She closes her eyes, to think for a moment, I guess.

   I open my mouth, but no words come out. I'm trying to speak, but I can't. I'm in shock. Why would he do this?

   The director clears his throat. "Sorry, there were misunderstandings." He blinks.

   Misunderstandings? Misunderstandings? How the hell could that be misunderstanding when you purposely shoot innocent citizen? Sure, she's popular mean girl, but she didn't deserve that at all.

   The director puts his gun away. As he was putting it away, I saw it and tried to recognize it. Amakarovpistol. I think. Its from a game my brother introduced me to.

   "Let's pick that again, shall we." He wipes away his sweat.

   He reaches into the body once again and retrieves a bloody paper. "A female, again. How ironic."

   I bit my lip, hoping it isn't me. "Maxienne Miller." I hear.

   Maxienne? A pang of fear swooshes over me like a deadly wave. MAXIENNE!

   I quickly change my gaze to Maxienne. Her hands are covering her mouth, once again. I see her eyes become wary. She's about to faint! I gasp.

   I catch her before she falls. I pull my face closer to see if she's been fainted, but no, her eyes are wide, and her mouth pops open, and it won't close.

   "Maxienne..." I whisper. "Oh no... not you!" I keep holding her, holding her tightly.

   She says nothing.

   "Maxienne. Come up to the stage. Now." The director raises his voice in a annoyed tone.

   I wipe my tears away. "Maxienne, it'll be alright... I'm- I'm sure I'll be picked as well. You won't be a-alone..." I stammer.

   She finally speaks. "O-okay..." I tear up. She turns to face me and puts her hands on my cheeks. She wipes away my tears with her thumbs. Maxienne looks at me, straight into my eyes.

   "Whatever you do, do not volunteer." She's not blinking.

   I stare at her in sorrow. "O-okay... fine... but I'll do whatever I can to help you survive."

   "Good. Now, when he calls your name, run, I'll distract him. I don't care if I die. There's not much guards around to stop you. I only want you to be safe."

   My eyes swell up. "No. No I can't let you do-"

   "Listen. to me." She doesn't get her eyes off mine. "Do what I say."

   "Okay... fine... I'll do whatever makes you happy." A crooked smile appears on my face.

   She smiles wide. "Rebel, You've been the bestest friend ever... and... I love yo-" Guards separates us before she could finish her sentence.

   "NO!" I scream. I try to release myself from the guards locking me with their hands. Their too strong. "I love you too..." I whisper. "I love you too..."