Chapter Nine

A whole day of trying to catch up by breaking every traffic rule in the book later, they arrived at an out of place hotel in a rural part of Canada. Castor got out as soon as he could, slamming the door behind him so hard that the entire car shook.

Melissa sat there and simply sighed. “You know, Pollux, it would help if you would actually do something,”

Pollux frowned. “What are you talking about? I do plenty,”

“Like?” Melissa said, arching an eyebrow.

Pollux considered. “I bought our breakfast. Remember?”

Melissa sighed again. “Pollux, seriously. We're doing all the work here,”

“I've been fighting monsters too!” Pollux objected.

“I mean everything else,”

Pollux shrugged half-heartedly. “I don't know how to do anything else,”

“You could at least show some effort!” Melissa snapped. “You know what? You're hopeless. I honestly don't know what Castor would be doing on this road trip if I hadn't volunteered,” with that, she got out of the car, slamming the door behind her just as Castor had.

Pollux was left there by himself. Great. Now he had managed to piss off both of them.

It wasn't that he wasn't trying to do something, it was just that he really wasn't of much use. And he didn't really need to make it worse by messing everything up for them. Unfortunately, Castor and Melissa didn't seem to be thinking that he was trying to be considerate, which was understandable. Even so, everything he did try to do (such as buying the munchkins) seemed to just piss them off.

Pollux shrugged, getting out of the car. It wasn't as if he owed anything to Melissa. And Castor wouldn't even be alive if it weren't for him, so he was pretty sure he had all his bases covered.

Pollux arrived in the lobby of the hotel, only to find Castor and Melissa at the front desk, checking in. He strolled over, and noticed that the other secretary was talking with a girl wearing a shirt with a large face printed on it. On the back, the words “I <3 Justin Bieber!” could be seen from quite a distance.

Pollux smirked. Isn't that who he'd accidentally turned himself into at Dunkin' Donuts? Well, if he could do it once, why not again?

He willed the mist to shape his face, hair, and clothing to be like the boy on the front of the girl's shirt. Then he walked over and tapped her on the shoulder.

The girl whirled around. The first thing Pollux noticed was her braces, then her unruly hair, and then the fact that she couldn't be older than twelve. Pollux put on what he hoped was an attractive smirk. “Hey,” he said.

The reaction was instantaneous. The girl fainted dead on her feet.

Pollux's eyes widened. “Oh my god!” he said, dropping down to her side. “Are you okay?”

The girl's eyes fluttered open. “Justin...” she said, eyes wide. “I... you're here...”

She grabbed his face and his lips crashed against hers.

The smirk immediately fell from his face only to be replaced with a panicked expression. Her lips were chapped and disgusting. Pollux struggled to get away, but the girl wouldn't let go. He twisted from side to side and eventually broke free, stumbling backwards. “That was disgusting!” he said. “Please don't do that again. Ever.”

The girl's face crumpled. “You didn't like it?”

Pollux hesitated. “Well, I mean, your kissing isn't that bad, I just... don't know you.”