Chapter Two: Marium Biles, the Girl who Giggles at the Death of Others

Octavian remembered that empousai were vampires, but he couldn't recall much else about them. He backed away deeper into the alley, which probably wasn't a great choice. Octavian drew his dagger.

"B-back away." He stuttered pointing his weapon at the empousai. "I-I'm armed."

"Why would you want to hurt us?" One of them said in a soothing tone. She battered her eyes at him. Octavian felt his muscles relax. He found himself glued to the ground, staring at the two empousai.

"We don't want to hurt you." The other said. Octavian looked around. The fire escapes might be somewhat useful for escaping, but part of him wanted to stay with the empousai—which was crazy.

If Octavian didn't look at their feet, he could actually imagine them as decent looking girls. They seemed like cheerleaders from those high school movies.

Octavian gripped his dagger still. "I-I'm warning you, I-I'm trained in f-fighting." He said weakly, and even if he didn't know much about his past, he felt like these words were true.

"Yes," One said smiling sweetly. "You're a very good warrior."

"And a handsome one too!" The other said.

Octavian found himself smiling and blushing. "Well, I mean...thanks." His grip on his dagger lessened a bit. "I don't usually get that a lot."

The two of them giggled, revealing their fangs. This alarmed Octavian a bit. But would they really attack him? Maybe they just wanted to chat, maybe go out with him...

One of the empousai approached him and he didn't try any threatening moves. He just smiled, and the empousai giggled as she placed her clawed hand on his shoulder, like they were going to slow dance. The heat coming from her flaming hair seemed to make the environment warmer, and Octavian felt soothed by all of this, he forgot about his worries, he could barely recall what Juno had said about the camp he was supposed to go to...

And then a hooded figure seemed to jump out of nowhere. They hit the empousai that was nearest to Octavian with a bronze staff that was so sharp that it cut into the empousai and it exploded into dust. Octavian took a step back in shock, and the other empousai growled at the hooded figure.

"How dare you!" The empousai growled.

"Oh, I dare." The figure growled back. "Now I suppose you get out of here before you end up like your partner."

The empousai crossed her arms in a sassy like way. "You'll never reach the camp, Augur." And then she burst into flames.

"Augur?" The figure wondered and turned around to face a shocked Octavian. He couldn't see the figure's facial features that well, but he could tell it was a girl.

The girl jumped back in surprise, her weapon raised like he was a monster. "You!" She shouted angrily. "How the hades are you still alive?!?"

Octavian dropped his dagger and raised his hands in sort of a surrender way. "Please don't kill me!" He whimpered. "I-I don't remember who I am!"

"That's what they all say." She growled and twirled her bronze staff. "My half-sister says that she turned five of your soldiers into piglets! Maybe I can do the same to you...I don't think anyone would care..."

"No, please!" Octavian said desperately. "Juno sent me! She told me to find a camp called Camp Half-Blood! All I remember is Greek and Roman gods, demigods, and that my name is Octavian!"

The girl tilted her head to one side curiously. The girl was a little shorter than him, so she was probably around sixteen, but she was still very threatening. She lowered her staff. "Fine. If the stupid queen goddess wants you at camp, then I guess that's what she'll get. Now pick up your dagger you clumsy little augur. I just happen to know where this camp is."